Question Advice needed on repair or new build

boles

Jul 3, 2003
Many years ago I built a decent box for light gaming, heavy workstation use, decent storage and most importantly good audio. This week it will no longer power on so i am looking for advice on if i should chase down the issues or just abandon the box and build (or buy) a new machine.

Current Machine:
  • INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M
  • ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA1155
  • SEASONIC X750 GOLD
  • VGA XFX HD-577A-ZNFC HD5770 RT
  • GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (16gb)
  • asus xonar essence stx
When i do play games they are older games or wargaming releases so i dont think i need a high power box.

I know video card is way out of date but my question is more about CPU. I did some quick research and saw that the single thread performance of this CPU may somehow still relevant? Am i losing my mind that a CPU i got long ago is still holding value?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Your CPU is viable for 2019, but I would upgrade the video card. Do you have an SSD? that will improve your overall performance more then anything else considering your system specs.

Yep the two best upgrades will be a new dGPU and an SSD.

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
If it no longer powers on, then check ur PSU, it might have died. Getting a new psu will be cheaper that buying new PC.
If you build a new pc, you can still use your old HD5770 gpu, asus xonar sound card and HDD and SSD along with it.

boles

Jul 3, 2003
More info on my config
So i have 3 SSDs in the 'broken' machine.
  • boot drive
  • game drive
  • source code/compile drive
Long term storage:
  • 3x 500 gb WD black drives
I was looking more for info about if the CPU is really still a decent single thread option.

The MB still shows a power led but power button does nothing. Have swapped power and reset switches with known working items but no luck. Thinking that one of the 12v rails might have died but i thought this PS had a single 12v.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
More info on my config
So i have 3 SSDs in the 'broken' machine.
  • boot drive
  • game drive
  • source code/compile drive
Long term storage:
  • 3x 500 gb WD black drives
I was looking more for info about if the CPU is really still a decent single thread option.

The MB still shows a power led but power button does nothing. Have swapped power and reset switches with known working items but no luck. Thinking that one of the 12v rails might have died but i thought this PS had a single 12v.
Sorry I missed the part where the PC doesn't power on. @topmysteries5 advice about checking/replacing the PSU is sound.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes, try the PSU, if that does not fix it, its the motherboard most likely or the CPU(not likely). Personally I would not (at that point) spend any money on old tech, I would get a new CPU/motherboard/memory.

grimham

Jun 16, 2005
Check and re-seat all your power cables and unplug everything from the mainboard except the GPU (HDDs, optical disks, add on cards, keyboard, mouse etc). See if it boots then. If not, pull the GPU as well. Even though you won't get video you should still be able to see any changes. If it's still a no-go a spare Power Supply would be handy to test with.
You can even go so far as to take the main board out of the case in case there is a short there.

Reactions: msbettyhunt

msbettyhunt

Oct 22, 2019
Check and re-seat all your power cables and unplug everything from the mainboard except the GPU (HDDs, optical disks, add on cards, keyboard, mouse etc). See if it boots then. If not, pull the GPU as well. Even though you won't get video you should still be able to see any changes. If it's still a no-go a spare Power Supply would be handy to test with.
You can even go so far as to take the main board out of the case in case there is a short there.
Is this the solution?