Advice for New Phone: Note 4 vs Moto X (2014) vs Nexus 6

jav3

Jun 18, 2001
I'm looking at upgrading my phone & am having issues between these three. I currently have a Note 2 & will upgrade w/ a 2-yr contract. Here's where I'm at

Note 4 - Like the pen functionality I currently have, so this will just be that much better. Good battery life. Downside is the dedicated co-processor & price
Nexus 6 - Downsides are size & potentially battery life.
Moto X - Pluses are nearly pure Android + Motorola enhancements. Unsure about the battery life. I have heard the voice activation is slow under kit kat but should be the same as the Nexus (since both have the co-processor).

I tend to mainly use my phones for media consumption & internet. I actually don't talk much with the phone (blue tooth in the car or earpiece). No real gaming.

So what does everyone think? I am leaning towards the Nexus or Note. Saw the Nexus and it was large, but didn't see too much larger than the Note 4.

TIA.

Jeff

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
If you currently rely on the stylus at all, stay withe the Note. You will miss it when its gone.
Otherwise, go big. N6 is a great device for media consumption.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I agree, if you want and use the stylus, Note 4.

Lots of interesting choices though right now. For me, the Note 4 is still king of the hill. I haven't personally seen anything yet that I want more.

The Note edge is kinda cool- messed with one and found that curved edge interesting, but ultimately I can't see wanting one.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Unless stock Android matters to you, I'd get the Note 4. Better battery life, better screen, better camera, more options if you use it (multi-tasking, s-pen, etc). However you're still picking between two great phones - it's not like the Nexus 6 is substantially worse in any area.

For me, the above outweighs having to wait several extra months to get Lollipop or future updates. With Android as mature at it is now, you don't seem to gain that much in day to day use.

If you go Note 4, try to get either T-mobile or Verizon developer edition - being able to root it and install custom ROMs is a nice option to have if you get bored with stock TW. You don't ever have to actually use that option, but it's nice to have.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I like the removable battery and SD card aspect of the Note 4, alongside having a supposedly better screen and a stylus swayed me towards the Note 4.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Unless stock Android matters to you, I'd get the Note 4. Better battery life, better screen, better camera, more options if you use it (multi-tasking, s-pen, etc). However you're still picking between two great phones - it's not like the Nexus 6 is substantially worse in any area.

For me, the above outweighs having to wait several extra months to get Lollipop or future updates. With Android as mature at it is now, you don't seem to gain that much in day to day use.

If you go Note 4, try to get either T-mobile or Verizon developer edition - being able to root it and install custom ROMs is a nice option to have if you get bored with stock TW. You don't ever have to actually use that option, but it's nice to have.

agree with this, personally I think touchwiz is unusable but if you can tolerate it, it has better stylus integration than AOSP does.

fwiw, I have the nexus 6 but I also have lots of phones at any given time. custom software is too important to me to deal with samsung anymore, despite their hardware being awesome.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The Note 4 gets my vote. It seems like Samsung does not cut corners for the Note line. It has everything and then some. Until the next gen stuff arrives it is the king of the smartphones in my eyes. There is an issue of Touchwiz bloats but sheer excellence of the hardware makes up for it, IMO.

However, nothing beats the Nexus when it comes to freedom it gives in using hardware. No one is going to tell you how to use the phone that you paid for. If you have yet to experience a Nexus device then I would say the Nexus 6 should be the choice. Preferably through the Play Store - despite its seeming incompetence Play Store's customer service is excellent.

The Moto X is sort of like a brother to the Nexus 6 and I would go for it if 1) the Nexus 6/Note 4 are too big to my liking (they are not), or 2) there is a considerable saving to justify using it over the other two for two years (unlikely). If the Moto X were actually small enough to be handled one-handed like the original then the calculus would be very different. But since it isn't, I think it might as well be better to go for broke and get a big phone that can work double as a tablet.

jav3

Jun 18, 2001
Thanks all. Obviously, I was leaning towards the Note 4 based on my current Note 2. I am going to go with the Note 4, but wait until CES to see what is announced & see if the price is lowered (I doubt it but need to see, since there are no deals now).

Jeff

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
The Note 4 gets my vote. It seems like Samsung does not cut corners for the Note line. It has everything and then some. Until the next gen stuff arrives it is the king of the smartphones in my eyes. There is an issue of Touchwiz bloats but sheer excellence of the hardware makes up for it, IMO.

However, nothing beats the Nexus when it comes to freedom it gives in using hardware. No one is going to tell you how to use the phone that you paid for. If you have yet to experience a Nexus device then I would say the Nexus 6 should be the choice. Preferably through the Play Store - despite its seeming incompetence Play Store's customer service is excellent.

The Moto X is sort of like a brother to the Nexus 6 and I would go for it if 1) the Nexus 6/Note 4 are too big to my liking (they are not), or 2) there is a considerable saving to justify using it over the other two for two years (unlikely). If the Moto X were actually small enough to be handled one-handed like the original then the calculus would be very different. But since it isn't, I think it might as well be better to go for broke and get a big phone that can work double as a tablet.

I think the only reason I'd say no to the Moto X is the lack of band 12 support for LTE. That will be nice when tmobile gets more coverage on that one.

jav3

Jun 18, 2001
I think the only reason I'd say no to the Moto X is the lack of band 12 support for LTE. That will be nice when tmobile gets more coverage on that one.

Thanks, but between my grandfathered unlimited data & corp discount, my bill is less than $70/month all in, so with that and the coverage in my areas, I am sticking with AT&T.

Jeff

Ottertail

Aug 31, 2010
I am also looking for a new phone... batter life is one of the top items on my list.

I have only played with the note.. I am not sure how often I would want or need to use a stylus. I do not see the stylus as being a big advantage. I like finger swipes!

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
At the end of my 8 hr work day, I am usually left with 60-70% battery life, that's with an average screen on time of 1.5 hours of being on the phone, light gaming, and Web browsing. I am neutral about TouchWiz, it's existence doesn't bother me at all.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Love the Note 4. I don't even mind the stock firmware, though I do use a different keyboard and launcher. There's enough features in touchwiz that I like that I don't want to bother with different roms anymore.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm gonna be the dissenting voice and suggest the Nexus 6.

I know the Note 4 has better battery life and the pen, but... I'm just tired of Samsung's overdone customizations. Stock Lollipop is like a breath of fresh air between the clean interface and speedy performance. That and the ambient display plus always-on "OK Google" really clinch the N6. The battery life isn't as spectacular, but it's fine, and the camera is the first truly good cam I've seen on a Nexus in, well, ever. And you'd be surprised at how quickly you get used to the size.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
The Note 4 has the same with "Hi Galaxy"

I vote the Note 4 OP. It is the best phone on the planet.

I didn't know the Note could do that. That's awesome. It is such an awesome feature while driving since you don't have to pick up your phone.

I'm still more inclined to get a Nexus though. However, I'd like to see what CES has to offer next week. I want see new phones with 808/810 chips in them.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The Note 4 has the same with "Hi Galaxy"

I vote the Note 4 OP. It is the best phone on the planet.
I was going to point this out, which highlights a problem with some people making recommendations like these... They're working with bad information, and/or GIVING bad information. I wish people would do some research before discrediting devices they haven't even used before