Advantages of rounded cable vs ribbon cable ?

boyz

Apr 4, 2001
Hey Guys i want to know what are the advantages of the rounded cable vs the flat one, i know it is to do with proper circulation, what about performance factor ?

EeyoreX

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Generally speaking there is no performance difference. Some people say they get data corruption more frequently with rounded cables, but IMHO this is more likely a metter of poor quality cables. A bad cable, rounded or ribbon is a bad cable. I've been using rounded cables for at least a year, probably more, and have never experienced any data corruption problems on any of my drives.

\Dan

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
Tidyness and ease of routing the cables....thats about the only advantages I can think of. I've used round cables for months and never suffered any data corruption.

powerMarkymark

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2002
I use both and I find rounded cables more rigid and harder to work with.....................but they do make a tidier inner case if you have a side window and lights.

EeyoreX

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Now that I think about it, I can make arguements for the "tidyness" of either type. In my server rig, I have a mix of rounded and ribbon. The ribbon cables connect two of my hard drives to the PCI Controller card. Ribbon cables were much more tidy here, because they could be folded and laid flat on the floor of the case. I found rounded too rigid for this purpose. The rounded cables work for my optical drives due to the placement of the IDE connectors on the motherboard. Ribbin cable origami would have been impracticle here. I do admit to liking the look of rounded cables over the ribbon cables, unless they are folded super schweet.

\Dan

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
If only they made rounded IDE cables that were extendable kind of like elastic so you wouldn't have rigid slack lying around.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the tidiest case i ever saw was using ribbon cables folded to go exactly where they were wanted