Advanced voting: yay or nay?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Rechecked my voting card this morning and, yes, today was the first of two back-to-back days of advanced voting in the Canadian Federal election. So I checked the weather, not too cold, no freezing rain, just some red leaves blowing around. Chronic fatigue syndrome was not acting up too much and I was in a good mood and of clear mind. So I decided once again to go cast my Liberal vote in advance for my incumbent Member of Parliament. Not that he needs my particular vote as he's been around for a while,has held various Cabinet positions, and remains untainted by scandal. Of course,this being a staunchly Liberal riding, he might be found to be a pig oinker and still get elected.

Being one who votes more on policy and for 'the team' than on 'character' and for one individual, it's easier for me to use and justify advanced voting as I am not waiting for a late scandal or other event to change or confirm my opinion. That plus there was no waiting in line.

Anyway, do you like (the idea of) advanced voing and do you use this option in your national/provincial/state elections? Of course, some type of elections really mean voting for one specific individual so the advantages/disadvantages of advanced voting may depend on the position at stake.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'll be doing advanced voting (absentee ballot) for the first time this year. I'll be on a cruise on election day so that night I'll either be celebrating or drowning my sorrows! :p

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Robor
I'll be doing advanced voting (absentee ballot) for the first time this year. I'll be on a cruise on election day so that night I'll either be celebrating or drowning my sorrows! :p

Or emigrating to Canada? :laugh:

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
IIRC the leftist librul news media has reported that possibly as much as one-third of Americans will cast votes early - some states anticipate rates as high as 40%

There seems to be some worries that exit polling projections on election day will turn to sheet .... :D

dardin211

Oct 3, 2002
I am voting by early mail-in ballot as well. I do every year as does my wife. In fact they now have it in my state/county where you can signup to automatically get a mail-in ballot sent to you every election, instead of having to request one each time.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
I dont much care for early voting unless absolutely necessary, but it is more a matter of tradition and preference for me. I have only missed on election (2002), and it was sudden and unavoidable.

If ballots are not tallied and such prior to election day, then I have no real legal issue with it... just not my preference.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know but I would encourage Republicans, for the good of the country, to vote the after the election.

Feb 19, 2001
I think it's stupid. We need to introduce online voting. If you want to talk about fraud and no privacy, absentee ballot mailins give you no privacy. Your signature on a piece of paper to say it was you is just as good as signing online when you get a freaking offer letter from your employer and you accept it with a digital signature. Voting should be limited to the day of. Polls shift, and if we voted this early in 04, Kerry would've been president.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: DLeRium
I think it's stupid. We need to introduce online voting. If you want to talk about fraud and no privacy, absentee ballot mailins give you no privacy. Your signature on a piece of paper to say it was you is just as good as signing online when you get a freaking offer letter from your employer and you accept it with a digital signature. Voting should be limited to the day of. Polls shift, and if we voted this early in 04, Kerry would've been president.

Yes, polls do shift, so why do we have to assign all voting to one arbitrary day?

It doesn't matter, statistical fluctuations will result in a slight difference even if people voted +- 1 day from election day.

Edit: I signed up today as an absentee voter, I'll be out of town. The chances of my vote changing during this month are slim to none.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
My county (and state?) will be offering one-stop early voting this year for the general election. They did it for the primaries as well and I loved it. I get to stop in on an earlier date at my own pleasure when the site isn't crowded.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium

What's so special about that ONE day that we need to vote then?

musicman64

Jun 29, 2003
A month early seems a bit too much for me personally.

I'd prefer a voting week. A full Sunday-Sunday to vote. I'm not sure how significant the number of early voters is just yet, but I'd be wary of a major event, scandal, policy statement or whatever happening in the weeks before election day.

I don't even know tho, if people vote early, can they change their votes? I assume no, but say it came out that McCain had 47 children out of wedlock and everyone wanted to change their votes, then what!

Oct 27, 2007
As far as I know the option isn't available in NZ. Even if it were I see no good reason to cast my vote early unless circumstances prohibited me from voting on election day.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'd like to see the whole system revamped. 60 days of campaigning instead of 18 -30 months. This would be a great place to start.

We could learn some lessons from our Northern neighbors.