Adult games for kids?

petesamprs

Aug 2, 2003
Can anyone recommend a good game that a kid can play (age 6) but has an adult feel to it? My little brother is a big fan of computer games, but my mom got pissed when I got him playing HL2 (he was playing >5 hrs a day) because of the violence. Next I got him Harry potter, which has no voilence and simple gameplay, but he beat it a while ago.

I need to find him other games that have the graphics of adult games but no voilence and simple gameplay. Anyone have any suggestions? Some sort of educational value would be nice too.

thanks.

petesamprs

Aug 2, 2003
bootymac - good suggestion, but that graphics just aren't are up to par (lol)
Fenix - him getting addicted to these games is also a problem. he plays harry potter for many hours a day, even though he's beaten it, and has the whole dialogue memorized. Need something that isn't as addictive as rpg's can be.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
6 years old and he's playing video games more than 5 hours a day...aren't there multiple harry potter games? And if he can already spend as much time as he does playing a game he's already beaten, does he really need another game?

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
If you want it to be educational, then see if he wants to play The Sims (or The Sims 2, of course). It has a great economic model as well as landscaping, architecture, social networking, goal setting and attaining... and it's just plain fun.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Buy him a baseball glove and some sun tan lotion, and go play some catch.

Or, teach him how to build a computer. When your five, learn some stuff. You have the rest of your life to spend wasting your time on games. :)

Or, have him play some strategy-oriented game, which prompts more thinking than shooters.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Farmer
Buy him a baseball glove and some sun tan lotion, and go play some catch.

Or, teach him how to build a computer. When your five, learn some stuff. You have the rest of your life to spend wasting your time on games. :)

Seriously. Little kids can learn fast, so teach him how to do some stuff with computers. Maybe you can find a typing program and teach him how to touch type.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Sports games, maybe? Never played one on PC, so I have no idea about how good the graphics are.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Backyard Sports Series

Jedi Knight 2

Jedi Academy

Star Wars Battlefront

UT2K4 with gore turned off

Rollercoaster Tycoon series

Zoo Tycoon series

JK2, JA, SWBF, and UT2K4 all offer unlimited gameplay due to the ability to add bots for multiplayer.

petesamprs

Aug 2, 2003
He gets his share of outdoor activity, but he just enjoys playing computer games...I'm trying to branch him out to using the internet and instant messaging (i'm policing him), but he still wants good games to play. I'll try out your suggestions above, but I don't see anything meant for kids with some educational value. I wish there was a version of HL2 where the Combine would give you math problems instead of shooting you.

thanks.

OnEMoReTrY

Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: petesamprs
He gets his share of outdoor activity, but he just enjoys playing computer games...I'm trying to branch him out to using the internet and instant messaging (i'm policing him), but he still wants good games to play. I'll try out your suggestions above, but I don't see anything meant for kids with some educational value. I wish there was a version of HL2 where the Combine would give you math problems instead of shooting you.

thanks.

Dunno, some of those calculus problems can be just as deadly as bullets in my experience =O

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: John P.
Backyard Sports Series

Jedi Knight 2

Jedi Academy

Star Wars Battlefront

UT2K4 with gore turned off

Rollercoaster Tycoon series

Zoo Tycoon series

JK2, JA, SWBF, and UT2K4 all offer unlimited gameplay due to the ability to add bots for multiplayer.
the SWs games are a good choice . . . . JKII:JO is a great and long FPS ("Teen")

. . . . if he can can play RPGs, KotOR is a great (long if "involved") game. . . . lot's of "moral" choices dealing with the light and dark side of the force.

How about Dragon's Lair 3D? Cartoonish "violence" - rated "Teen"

or ST: Voyager :Elite Forces I & II ("Teen") has QIII engine GFX and similar "violence" to SW's games.

Then there are the racing games . . . .

edit: If he likes Harry Potter, there are several HP games.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
My 7 y/o son is doing real well in KOTOR2 (he did KOTOR 1 too). It involves a lot of reading and comprehension about what choices to make for dialog... though he's discovered the usual choice 1 being something nice and choice 4 being the kill everything in sight choice. It's definitely advanced his reading skills.

He keeps telling me when his jedi does something nice and gets light-side points. After he finishes his dinner, and does his homework, he's allowed to play for an hour or so before bath time. Then, after everyone else goes to bed, I play for an hour or so myself on my rig. So, at the moment, we're both at about the same level in the game.

On the lighter front, there are some good Scooby Doo games (I know, it's not adult level) out there that are fun little adventure games. But it sounds like your son is like mine and would whip through the entire adventure pretty fast (mine also made it through all the Potter ones too pretty quick).

Wadded Beef

Banned
Dec 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Maetryx
If you want it to be educational, then see if he wants to play The Sims (or The Sims 2, of course). It has a great economic model as well as landscaping, architecture, social networking, goal setting and attaining... and it's just plain fun.

:thumbsup:

agree 110%

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Wadded Beef
Originally posted by: Maetryx

:thumbsup:

agree 110%

I hate to say I'm agreeing with Wadded Beef, but Sims or Sims 2 are both really good games to play in this kind of situation. He'll learn how to budget and manage money, and also gain an interest in why the women (well, and the men, but mainly the women) must have a mosaic blur effect when showering. ;)