Ads out of closet, into mainstream with gay themes

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
3-6-2013

http://news.yahoo.com/ads-closet-mainstream-gay-themes-181549786.html

Ads out of closet, into mainstream with gay themes

LGBT themes, faces in mainstream advertising multiply as more companies come out of the closet

A new TV commercial features a good-looking young woman on a beach vacation lounging next to a good-looking young man. He bemoans the glare on his iPad and she fills him in on the Kindle Paperwhite's sun-friendly screen.

He clicks to buy one himself and suggests they celebrate with a drink.

"My husband's bringing me a drink right now," chirps she.

"So is mine," smiles he as they turn and wave at their male loved ones sitting together at a tiki bar.

Mark Elderkin, CEO of the Gay Ad Network, which focuses on the LGBT niche market, said mainstream gay messaging has "passed the tipping point, where there's more to gain than there is to lose" for advertisers.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Religious Republicans will ever accept being rammed from behind.

Fixed that for you.

Its a matter of respect. We are supposed to accept gay rights, but how dare we voice our own opinions?

Because someone lives a gay lifestyle does not mean I have to like or respect it.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Fixed that for you.

Its a matter of respect. We are supposed to accept gay rights, but how dare we voice our own opinions?

Because someone lives a gay lifestyle does not mean I have to like or respect it.

What you choose to like or respect is certainly a view you can possess... It does, however, illuminate certain aspects about 'who' or 'what' you are.

I'm not sure how you can link ''... supposed to accept...'' with ''... voice our opinions.?''
Is it your opinion; we shouldn't accept Gay Rights?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Fixed that for you.

Because someone lives a heterosexual lifestyle does not mean I have to like it or respect it.

See how that works?

By the way they're not LGBT rights, heterosexual rights or any other (insert group name here) rights; they're rights.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I look forward to the day when lifestyle is truly a non-issue rather than being a punchline or a token inclusion.

Gay is "hip" right now. If these companies didn't see dollar signs behind their edgy campaigns they wouldn't be doing it. I certainly wouldn't ascribe any noble motive to it.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I long for the day when people learn that sexuality isn't a binary on/off, either/or switch.

I also long for the day when religious leaders would be ashamed to talk about the morality of sexual orientations.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

When the White Christian Male expects his self-absorbed word to be law, and the class uses its majority to set up a system of privilege for themselves and tyranny over others, there's a little more involved than just an opinion.
Take away the privileged position and then you're entitled to whatever opinion you want.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Im a libertarian, so you should know where I stand on gay marriage. I think it is 100% tolerable for two consenting humans to by married (or even more than 2) regardless of gender. I do not think that it is right or anything like that, but what people do to themselves is their own business.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
This means gay folk buy more crap? Why else would advertisers target them? Fine with me. I don't waste my $ on stuff from with expensive advertising.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Homosexual males earn more on average than their straight counterparts. Seems like they would be a lucrative demographic.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This means gay folk buy more crap? Why else would advertisers target them? Fine with me. I don't waste my $ on stuff from with expensive advertising.

The DINK demographic (Dual Income No Kids). Lots of disposable income.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
very true, but even on an individual basis, gays earn more money.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I long for the day when people learn that sexuality isn't a binary on/off, either/or switch.

I also long for the day when religious leaders would be ashamed to talk about the morality of sexual orientations.

That is sort of their thing, if they did not exclude and look down their noses at people who live lives opposed to their teachings then what so ever would their little organizations do with themselves? How would they differentiate themselves from the heathens?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
very true, but even on an individual basis, gays earn more money.

Among those who report income, about 16% of LGBT-identified individuals have incomes above $90,000 per year, compared with 21% of the overall adult population. Additionally, 35% of those who identify as LGBT report incomes of less than $24,000 a year, significantly higher than the 24% for the population in general. These findings are consistent with research showing that LGBT people are at a higher risk of poverty.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158066/special-report-adults-identify-lgbt.aspx

Are you sure?

Feb 20, 2013
Personally, I think it is a bit excessive to plaster homosexuality everywhere (since now you can't watch a decent show without someone being gay).

Not that I'm against LGBT community, I just don't like it being shoved down my throat.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Personally, I think it is a bit excessive to plaster homosexuality everywhere (since now you can't watch a decent show without someone being gay).

Not that I'm against LGBT community, I just don't like it being shoved down my throat.

So you're not against it so long as you never have to see it. You're the very model of enlightened tolerance.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

Not that I'm against Religion, I just don't like it being shoved down my throat.

And on and on...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
So you're not against it so long as you never have to see it. You're the very model of enlightened tolerance.

Haha yup. Loved in "How I Met Your Brother" how Barney's brother kept being called "different" when he was very openly gay but they were referring to him being black. Poked fun of both kinds of intolerance.

Despite huge other flaws in Chicago, the city really nails it for gay equality, at least socially. Nobody really gives a shit. It isnt really about being "OK" or "acceptable", it was just normal life. It wasn't even a talking point.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'll know we've achieved total acceptance of the LGBT community when I see cosmetics, perfume and personal hygiene ads with two men or two women swooning in passionate embrace.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Haha yup. Loved in "How I Met Your Brother" how Barney's brother kept being called "different" when he was very openly gay but they were referring to him being black. Poked fun of both kinds of intolerance.

Despite huge other flaws in Chicago, the city really nails it for gay equality, at least socially. Nobody really gives a shit. It isnt really about being "OK" or "acceptable", it was just normal life. It wasn't even a talking point.

It's like that in a lot of urban centers anymore. It has ceased to be controversial or even a novelty.