Ads on Win10 lock screen is a thing now, apparently

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've never seen any ads on my lock screen but I do see an upgrade office message in the action center from time to time.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Heh, hihi, hoho, haha.. Who, and I repeat, WHO saw that coming? Really? Nooooo.. Cant be.

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
"They can be turned off, but how many people will actually bother with this?"

The ones who can't be bothered will probably rage the most on YouTube and become SJWs.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
This is really no big deal. My phone does it my browser does it and my tablet does it and they've done it for years. Besides I can turn it off if I want. I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I tried to follow that thread on ./ but it's 1994 threaded interface is so infuriatingly awful I gave up. Funny, for a bunch of hardc0re linux d00dz they can't be bothered to change a setting.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
So many things to disable, reminds me of Firefox of last two years. At some point you have to give up and say that's too much to deal with.

BTW you can disable it for now, but guess what happens when next major update comes out... you get fresh "experience" of all things re-enabled again

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Very disappointing. I actually like the spotlight feature, but I'll have to disable it if it starts showing ads.

And as far as comments like these: "Lazy idiots really should not be allowed to have access to computers", off the top of my head when I install windows 10 I have to switch off a bunch of options sending data back to MS, I have to make sure that it doesn't connect to "known" wifi hotspots, I have to make sure it doesn't share my wifi password, I have to disable showing "suggested apps" in the start menu, and I have to disable P2P windows update sharing. And now I have to turn off spotlight too? It takes me as much time to go through all the options to disable this stuff as it takes to install windows. This is ridiculous.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
So comes this July, Windows 10 will no longer be a free upgrade, and yet there'll be ads in a paid OS?

Nov 20, 2009
M$ probably has realized that there is a sucker born every minute. We are in the age of being too lazy to do anything about it so its going to happen.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Very disappointing. I actually like the spotlight feature, but I'll have to disable it if it starts showing ads.

And as far as comments like these: "Lazy idiots really should not be allowed to have access to computers", off the top of my head when I install windows 10 I have to switch off a bunch of options sending data back to MS, I have to make sure that it doesn't connect to "known" wifi hotspots, I have to make sure it doesn't share my wifi password, I have to disable showing "suggested apps" in the start menu, and I have to disable P2P windows update sharing. And now I have to turn off spotlight too? It takes me as much time to go through all the options to disable this stuff as it takes to install windows. This is ridiculous.

Most of all those settings are right in the initial setup so I don't see it that arduous. (and no, it doesn't share your wifi password directly). Some of the other stuff yes is a couple clicks deep in the settings, but I guess I've been accustomed to always tweaking settings to my liking since Window 3.1 that changing it does not really bother me.