Adobe Reader X now displays ADS when viewing a PDF file?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by VirtualLarry, Jan 22, 2011.

1. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I just installed Reader on my newly-installed Win7 64-bit rig, and it was Reader "X" (10). I see this in the EULA:

"7. Connectivity and Privacy. You acknowledge and agree to the following:

7.1 Use of PDF Files. When you Use the Software to open a PDF file that has been enabled to display ads, your Computer may connect to a website operated by Adobe, an advertiser, or other third party. Your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”) is sent when this happens. The party hosting the site may use technology to send (or “serve”) advertising or other electronic content that appears in or near the opened PDF file. The website operator may also use JavaScript, web beacons (also known as action tags or single-pixel gifs), and other technologies to increase and measure the effectiveness of advertisements and to personalize advertising content. Your communication with Adobe websites is governed by the Adobe Online Privacy Policy found at http://www.adobe.com/go/privacy (“Adobe Online Privacy Policy”). Adobe may not have access to or control over features that a third party may use, and the information practices of third party websites are not covered by the Adobe Online Privacy Policy."

Does this mean that Adobe Reader is now going to serve me ads whenever I view a PDF? Is this one more way that Adobe is monetizing reader?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Adobe Reader displays Forum Date
    No more adobe pdf reader, from now on it is foxit Software for Windows Aug 4, 2015
    Adobe Reader shortcut parameters? Software for Windows May 28, 2015
    Adobe Reader DC Software for Windows Apr 20, 2015
    Adobe Reader 11: Can't sign PDFs, Place Signature button does nothing Software for Windows Oct 31, 2014
    Adobe Reader alternative PDF viewer_2things Software for Windows Nov 6, 2013

3. manko

manko Golden Member

4. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I haven't used Adobe reader in years, so I don't know if that policy is active. Why would you voluntarily use their crap? Some stuff we're stuck with, but there's definitely better choices in PDF readers.

5. Manticorps

Manticorps Member

I'm using Adobe Reader X and like it so far. I haven't seen any ads, though it did try to install some toolbar when I installed it, though it seems pretty much everything does anymore. It works without fuss and is works far better for me than any of the alternatives I have tried.

6. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

Unfortunately, as much as I dislike Adobe Reader, there are lots of PDF files I use that just won't work properly in anything else.

As a general rule, when it works with my files I prefer to use Tracker Software's PDF X-change Viewer over anything else - the ability run the application without installing it and also to fill out PDF forms and save them is very useful.

One other thing about X-Change Viewer is that end user support is very good. I had a issue with the application loosing form field focus when ALT-TAB was used to switch applications - I posted the problem in their forums, and they had it fixed in the very next application build. On the other hand, there are major bugs in Reader that Adobe has never bothered to fix.

7. atreader

atreader Member

PDF documents looks and feels like going back to 1990s. 2011 is an HTML5 time, I hope all those who have the decision making (regarding document creation, uploading etc) should ditch it and adopt a more free tech that lets the user read, fill, mark, edit a locally saved document. User shouldn't need to install any plugin/addon to view the document.

Right now I have to fill few govt. pdf Forms that has some autofill scripts etc. The autofill thing isn't working in foxit or in reader 9.4 .

8. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

They fill different roles. You can't guarantee the look of an HTML document because each browser is slightly different in how it renders and local themes, CSS, etc can all affect it's final look. With PDF you're guaranteed that the user sees what you want. And Windows is the only OS where the user needs to install an app/plugin to view PDFs, every other OS comes with a basic PDF viewer out of the box.

9. grandpaflo

grandpaflo Member

I'd rather not load any pdf files unless I have to. Free PDF to html converter online: (converts from web links or your uploaded pdf files)

http://view.samurajdata.se/

or use a utility like pdftohtml for *nix to safely convert the pdf files to html format, there's bound to be something like it for windows.

If you must load pdfs, these will do in a pinch (freeware/windows): http://stdutility.com/stduviewer.html
    http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

another converter, freeware/windows: http://www.dopdf.com/

If you must use Adobe, go into preferences and disable javascript with each new upgrade/installation. Try to find/use a portable app and always view PDFs offline so nothing is sent back from within the document, hence my preference for CONVERTING THEM to html.

#8 grandpaflo, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  10. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

If this is the case, I will stick with Adobe Reader 9.4.x or go to an alternative.

11. ForumMaster

ForumMaster Diamond Member

meh. I hate adobe reader. It's slow, doesn't shutdown properly for me for some reason, and theres no reason why a stinking pdf reader should take up 150MB of ram.

I'll stick with foxit.

12. stargazr

stargazr Platinum Member

I gave up on Adobe Reader after trying to keep up with the security problems/updates last year. I have been using Foxit Reader for about a half-year with no problems.

13. FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei Diamond Member

I'm glad someone else noticed this in the EULA. :thumbsup:

This is exactly the reason I have refused to upgrade Adobe Reader to v. 10. I got burned on the latest version of Skype which now has the capability to harass me with ads for microphones, headphones, calling plans, etc. :mad: Of course software companies hype their improved functionality/usability to spur you to upgrade, and omit or bury any info regarding new ad-serving functionality. The less you know about their product the happier you will be, no?

14. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

Whoaaa I didn't know about this.

Thank god for Ad Muncher :)

15. Lifted

Lifted Diamond Member

Uhhh, you're way off here. Both HTML and PDF have a standard. They are both supposed to look identical in any application (viewer or browser). HTML renders differently in different browsers, and so do pdf documents. I've seen many pdf's viewed in Foxit that looked slightingly to extremely different (on screen and printed) than when viewed/printed in Acrobat.

16. Lifted

Lifted Diamond Member

And since nobody answered the OP, the answer is no, you will not see ads when viewing a PDF UNLESS

17. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

That happens around here a lot.

18. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

acrobat reader v.5 was last decent version ... and still opens almost all PDFs that are not using "latest features" by adobe, everything after was bloat.

#17 postmortemIA, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  19. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

I used to install Reader 5.1 with Search, it was lightweight and rarely crashed. Unfortunately, too many PDF files available on the net these days, show up as "damaged" when opened by that reader. So much for "portable" documents. (They do open fine in the newest version of Reader.)

20. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

those versions are not patched against modern exploits. security landmines.

21. Schadenfroh

Schadenfroh Elite Member

Switch to Chrome, lean integrated PDF viewer and integrated Flash as well. The updates come down with Chrome updates.

22. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

I so glad there is so many better pdf readers out there like Foxit and many other very light ones.

Love that some have the best inter gated browser plugins! They actually work fast and quick unlike when adobe reader tries to open a pdf file in the browser.

23. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

They really need to stop that, it's retarded. Shared libraries are better for a number of reasons. So whenever there's an exploit in Flash now you've got to update at least 2 locations and hope Google gets out an update as quickly as Adobe can. I know Adobe's track record isn't great, but trusting two companies to do the same job just doubles the chance for failure.

24. MrChad

MrChad Lifer

Chrome's integrated viewer is pretty terrible, to be honest. It has little to no features for rotating pages or jumping around in the document. Most importantly, it can't print PDF files properly. I disabled it in the meantime and will use Reader X until Google can improve the functionality a bit.

25. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

Agreed.

26. MrChad

MrChad Lifer

You generally have to update 2 locations now anyway, as IE uses the ActiveX version of Flash while Firefox, Chrome and everything else use the NS plugin version.

I think Google's model works exceedingly well until Microsoft can partner up with major third party developers like Adobe and provide a single update mechanism through Windows/Microsoft update.