Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & Video Card?

package007

Dec 19, 2011
I am quite new to video editing, and need s little advice. I have a 650W power Supply and am wondering which card is best for editing HD Video using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5. My Pavilion Elite computer came installed with a Radeon HD 5450 and I am looking to upgrade it to a 1GB card. I looked at the following:

AMD FirePro™ V4900
ATI FirePro™ V5800
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870

My price range is under $350 if possible. When I spoke with AMD, they questioned whether or not I needed the FirePro for Adobe. ANy ideas will help. Thanks.

The Package

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
What you want:

Cuda card, perf something like a 560 ti.
Window's 64bit + Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (64bit version)
(only works with the 64bit version I read)

you probably also want to get a buttload of memory into your system, as much as your motherboard can take.

*** dont buy a Qudro or Firepro (unless you really need it, know what your getting for your $).
Chances are your just flushing $ down the toilet, vs a normal card.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Premiere's "Mercury Playback Engine" supports GPU acceleration using CUDA which requires an nVidia card. It's recommended that the card have at least 1gig of vram. Only certain nVidia cards support it right out of the box. Mostly Quadro cards. There's an .INI hack/mod that makes it work with nVidia cards that aren't supported by default.

Anything from a GTX 460 1GB card on up seems to be fine, from what I've read. The GTX-570 is the fastest card that will fit into your budget. Although, one of these might work better because of having more vram. Check with other Premiere users on the benefits, if any, for more vram.

What other apps. are you running? You might be better off with a Quadro card depending on exactly what you are running. You'll pay BIG BUCKS though for a Quadro that compares with the 560ti/570. Not worth it if you are only running Premiere as a hobby.

Last edited:

package007

Dec 19, 2011
Thank you very much. I won't get the firepro. I am glad I asked.

I am looking at new eggs site now at the 560ti & the 570. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the two, so I will probably get the 560ti as you suggested; unless you have other input based on what I am running:

I guess I should have started out with that, lol. I am learning <grin> and absorbing all the help I can get.

Win7 Home Premium x64 Svc Pack1
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 280GHz
8GB DDR3 PC3-10600
1.5TB hdd
650 watt pwr supply
Radeon HD5450 Vid Card

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
*mistake* deleted

Anyways you probably dont want to buy a quadro, if you really needed one you wouldnt be here asking questions. And your workplace (if you do this stuff proffessionally, would probably have gotten you a machine with one).

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Thank you very much. I won't get the firepro. I am glad I asked.

I am looking at new eggs site now at the 560ti & the 570. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the two, so I will probably get the 560ti as you suggested; unless you have other input based on what I am running:

I guess I should have started out with that, lol. I am learning <grin> and absorbing all the help I can get.

Win7 Home Premium x64 Svc Pack1
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 280GHz
8GB DDR3 PC3-10600
1.5TB hdd
650 watt pwr supply
Radeon HD5450 Vid Card

Any other professional apps?

package007

Dec 19, 2011
No other professional apps, other than Adobe Master Suite Collection. I am working from home, and helping my son and his college buddies make better highlight films for scouting

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Best value is Geforce cards then. No point in paying a premium for the Quadro cards. Apps like Maya or Max benefit a lot from pro cards.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
maybe you should look into the Mercury Playback Engine and see what kind of benefits you might get. What kind performance boost to expect and on what (I assume that it doesn't accelerate everything). I would read more about it before spending $200~300

mosox

Oct 22, 2010
Obviously Adobe owns stock in nVidia. :D

Obnviously Adobe is in bed with Nvidia since they artificially limit their software to high end nvidia cards and criplle the AMD cards.

A software company topically wants its apps to run on more platforms not less.

Why then doesn’t MPE support all these cards? It’s simple, Adobe wants you to have to buy the most expensive Quadro cards or the once top of the range GTX card. Their partnership with Nvidia has become quite obvious through this MPE support list. Their excuses that the Geforce cards don’t have enough ram or overheat more readily causing them to underclock is balony (most geforce cards now come with over 1 gig of ram, the same as the lower spec Quadro cards, the geforce cards also have better cooling due to the amount of work the card has to do to render today’s gaming graphics at hours on end).

http://www.indiev.org/?p=308

Only the ignorants don't know about this Adobe/Nvidia partnership.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Obnviously Adobe is in bed with Nvidia since they artificially limit their software to high end nvidia cards and criplle the AMD cards.

A software company topically wants its apps to run on more platforms not less.

http://www.indiev.org/?p=308

Only the ignorants don't know about this Adobe/Nvidia partnership.

I think it's more that nVidia wants to limit their support. Ideally they would probably only want to offer support for the professional products. Adobe likely got them to include some fairly exclusive Geforce models to expand the base support. You are correct that Adobe would like more people, not less, be able to use their software.

Send a bug report to nVidia (or AMD) telling them that Maya crashes on your Geforce (or Radeon) card when you activate soft shadows in the editor. They're going to tell you, "How sad too bad we don't support pro modeling or animation apps on consumer cards". End of story. I'm sure they'd like to say the same thing about Premiere. The kind of support offered with pro products is just too expensive to offer to everyone.

Having the ability to operate intimately though with Adobe Apps. is a definite plus for nVidia that AMD doesn't have and is worth something to them. It adds to the "We are the professional's choice" aura nVidia has.

package007

Dec 19, 2011
Being a novice at this, I appreiate all your input.

So today I purchased 16GB of ram, and the GTX 570HD, and a 650w power supply because the manufacturer suggested at least 550w to run the video card..

After got home I decided to take 2 addtl hard drives from comuters I am no longer using and add them to my system after reading info in the help menus for premeire pro.

QUESTION: Is the 650w supply enough with the addt'l hdds? or is it a non-issue (adding the two 120 GB hdds)?