Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 works on an Athlon, IF you have the correct CPU (SSE support)

apriest

Apr 25, 2002
www.aaronpriestphoto.com
Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 works fine on my Athlon XP 2600+ (333MHz bus, Thoroughbred core). I thought that was pretty interesting as I was reading reports all over the web of people complaining about it not installing with Athlons. Adobe says nothing about it. They just say PIII 800MHz and up, and recommend P4. They say NOTHING about whether it will or won?t work with Athlon, or what instruction set it requires.

Soooo? I did a little research! ;-) Turns out, it only really requires SSE, and not SSE2. So it will run faster on a P4 or Xeon due to Hyperthreading and SSE2 support, as it will not take advantage of the 3DNow! in AMD chips (grrrrr). Of course, you could run this sucker on a 64-bit Opteron or Athlon 64 and get SSE2 support, but that?s overkill as it requires a completely new motherboard. So why does it work on my Athlon? Because AMD has had SSE support for quite a while!

P3 & above do have SSE instructions
P4 and P4 based Xeons have SSE2 instructions as well
Athlon (Thunderbird & below cores) do not have SSE instructions
Athlon XP (Palimino & above cores?Thoroughbred, Barton, etc.) do have SSE instructions
Duron (Spitfire & below cores) do not have SSE instructions
Duron (Morgan & above cores) do have SSE instructions
Opteron & Athlon 64 have SSE and SSE2 instructions

In all cases, for SSE instructions to be recognized a clean install of windows MUST be done AFTER the installation of a processor that supports SSE. A reinstall over the top of an existing non-SSE install will not guarantee SSE support. Many people on the web have upgraded a CPU and never reinstalled the OS to take advantage of their new instructions sets.

I?m still trying to figure out if there?s a way to re-detect them without a complete fresh reinstall. Maybe doing a repair or something that would still maintain the program files folder and all user settings. Nothing more nightmarish than a complete overhaul?

Thought the info might help somebody out there...