Adobe Illustrator: why won't it let me use certain colors

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
there's this annoying thing I keep running into in illustrator and I can't find an answer in the help.

when I'm in the color picker and I select a certain color and hit ok, the object I'm coloring often is a different shade of that color than I picked. and I notice when I pick those "bad" colors in the color picker, it shows little yellow triangle exclamation sign

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Yellow triangle exclamation means that it's not a web-safe color I think... I have color problems in Illustrator sometimes too

Which version are you using?

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
I'm using CS. I don't think it means not web safe, because there's another little box that you shows the closest web safe color

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
"Some colors in the RGB and HSB color models, such as neon colors, cannot be printed, because they have no equivalents in the CMYK model. If you select an out-of-gamut color, an alert triangle appears near the top right of the palette. Click the triangle to shift to the closest CMYK equivalent (which is displayed below the triangle). "

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
ok, but the trouble is that it uses that color even if I don't click the yellow triangle. and I using the RGB color model.

WannaFly

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
This will typically happen if you are working with a palletted(8-bit, i believe) image, it will allow you to select an RGB color and you draw, it has to pick the closest color in the palletted pallete. Solution? Make sure the image you are editing is in RBG mode (most stuff off the web is palletted)

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by: WannaFly
This will typically happen if you are working with a palletted(8-bit, i believe) image, it will allow you to select an RGB color and you draw, it has to pick the closest color in the palletted pallete. Solution? Make sure the image you are editing is in RBG mode (most stuff off the web is palletted)

I'm just talking about drawing a new vector image in illustrator, not editing an existing image. and when I try to choose a color for an object, it picks one that's not quite the same. I think it may be related to likelinus was saying about converting to CMYK, because it seems to always pick a more drab color if the color I choose is really bright and "neon". but on the color model menu, I always have RGB selected