Adire Audio releases a new driver motor. How does 7 INCHES of LINEAR travel sound?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Linky

Looks like theres a new toy for those home theater subwoofer setups. ;)
I WANT ONE!! :Q :Q

And heres something to think about.... With a 48"x48" panel its the equivelent of 88 Tumult drivers

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard
But why do the columns need to be so long? The magnets aren't that large.

Basically for the movement of the motor. If your motor moves 10 inches, you HAVE to have at LEAST 10 inches to account for movement, plus a slight bit extra so you dont slam the top or bottom plates, plus the thickness of the metal itself. And it looks like this thing has around 12" of peak travel....Hence, its a BIG motor!

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Shockwave
But why do the columns need to be so long? The magnets aren't that large.

Basically for the movement of the motor. If your motor moves 10 inches, you HAVE to have at LEAST 10 inches to account for movement, plus a slight bit extra so you dont slam the top or bottom plates, plus the thickness of the metal itself. And it looks like this thing has around 12" of peak travel....Hence, its a BIG motor!
I thought I had an easy solution for that, but I couldn't think of how suspend the center pole...

:eek:

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
The funny part is that if you were to have that 48x48" panel, and at 12" excursion, that's 27648 cubic inches. Put that in a Civic. The sub has like 276 times the displacement of the engine. LOL! :D

Just imagine one of those in a house. Underneath your couch. You start floating during heavy gunfire in a movie ;)

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I'd rather have a lower-excursion driver with a larger cone, but still, that thing is awesome. Imagine a home theater room with 64 of those integrated into the ceiling as an infinite baffle infrawoofer system... :Q

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
I'd rather have a lower-excursion driver with a larger cone, but still, that thing is awesome. Imagine a home theater room with 64 of those integrated into the ceiling as an infinite baffle infrawoofer system... :Q

You realize this thing cam support a 4 FOOT cone??

"So how far can you go? A 48" x 48" panel would be about the limit. Pretty easy to stretch the motor to 12" of peak-to-peak stroke, so that would be around 16 cubic FEET of displacement (over 450 liters of linear displacement). Now THAT would be a monster! Anyone game? I know a few famous car audio names who are already planning to use this beast, want to join that exclusive club?"

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

"So how far can you go? A 48" x 48" panel would be about the limit. Pretty easy to stretch the motor to 12" of peak-to-peak stroke, so that would be around 16 cubic FEET of displacement (over 450 liters of linear displacement). Now THAT would be a monster! Anyone game? I know a few famous car audio names who are already planning to use this beast, want to join that exclusive club?"
Didn't read that part. :eek: A 4x4 array would be good enough for me :D

EDIT: A cone that big (square, whatever...) would have to be made out of a pretty stiff material in order to stay rigid. Hope they use something cool like multi-layer CF composite /w an sandwiched foamed aluminum panel. :D

EDIT2: Or at least some radial spokes, to increase the inherent strength of the cone.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000

Didn't read that part. :eek: A 4x4 array would be good enough for me :D

EDIT: A cone (square, whatever...) would have to be made out of a pretty stiff material in order to stay rigid. Hope they use something cool like multi-layer CF composite /w an sandwiched foamed aluminum panel. :D

I figured you'd like that ;)

Time to upgrade your HT setup i think! :beer:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Viperoni
The funny part is that if you were to have that 48x48" panel, and at 12" excursion, that's 27648 cubic inches. Put that in a Civic. The sub has like 276 times the displacement of the engine. LOL! :D

Just imagine one of those in a house. Underneath your couch. You start floating during heavy gunfire in a movie ;)
Nah, the couch would become a tactile sensory aid.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
And I just finished mine :|

Thats a well made box. I'm impressed. Not get some veneer on it and you'll have a very nice setup there.

Well, no. Tear it all down, you gotta build a enclosure for this new monster Adire made :D

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
DAMN! It gets better... Forum l8ink

From Dan himself
"Thanks! It's been a fun little project... Basically we got tired of the 1mm/2mm increments that everyone was claiming over each other, and decided to "go nuclear". So here's a motor (and will be a full driver at CES, once the patents are fully filed on the suspension) that can do 82mm one way. I figure when someone else gets within 15-20mm of where we're at right now, we'll just stretch it out (or add a 3rd gap plate) and add another 40-50mm one way..."

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
And I just finished mine :|

Thats a well made box. I'm impressed. Not get some veneer on it and you'll have a very nice setup there.

Well, no. Tear it all down, you gotta build a enclosure for this new monster Adire made :D
Thanks :) I haven't priced any types of veneer...not sure if I want to shell out any more money right now :p I need some mains...I have a couple Crown DC300A power amps collecting dust :eek:

I know :(

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I like it :D

Over kill for me. 121 dB at 20 hZ?

People from 2 counties will think they had a 5.5 quake.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
What size of box do you need to support that sub?

Maybe the size of a small room?

Ah, hang it on a 3" thick utility room door........."don't go in their honey, you could get hurt."