Addon safety

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by pcslookout, Dec 27, 2012.

1. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

What is the best way to determine if a browser addon like for example Firefox is safe ? I been reading how some could be. So how does the average user know?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Addon safety Forum Date
    Addons can make any Firefox slow until version 57 - Good news Software for Windows Jan 12, 2017
    Looking for a Firefox Addon Software for Windows Jul 26, 2016
    Signed my first addon today Software for Windows Jun 3, 2016
    Looking for something like this either software or firefox addon Software for Windows May 9, 2016
    Microsoft Safety Scanner vs. Windows Defender Offline scanner Software for Windows Jul 31, 2012

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

They probably don't. Using ones that are open source is a good start, and sticking with big names/reputable devs is a good idea. Mozilla also does some checking, but I don't know how extensive the checks are. As with all software, you need to be cautious with what you pick.

4. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

If you want safe, use Tor and DDG.

5. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Neither of which will help if an add-on is collecting information as it's passed into and out of your browser.

6. cl-scott

cl-scott ASUS Support

I do believe Mozilla has started doing at least some basic checks for this sort of thing for any addon/extension on their official repository. Things sometimes will and do slip through the cracks, but they remove them as they're reported. Beyond that, to be absolutely sure, you'd need to look at the source code for each and every extension, and also have a packet analyzer program inspecting every outgoing packet.

7. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

Thanks.