Adding WMC error

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by thestrangebrew1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1 Platinum Member

Not sure if this should be in software or OS' but basically when I try adding WMC to my wife's laptop that has w8 installed, I get a generic error saying "Something went wrong" with no error codes or anything. It's been about a week or two since I've fired it up so it's doing a bunch of updating, but I'm thinking this is an unlikely cause. I did a search on possible problems and found a similar event that was solved by some kind of junction, c:\\users vs d:\\users and files need to be swapped or something but can't find the link now that I'm at work. Anyone else have any issues like this?

2. Loading...

3. uallas5

uallas5 Senior member

No, I haven't had a problem and my setup is similar to the solution you describe where my "Users" directories are both on C and D. All my larger user directories like Downloads, Videos, etc. I moved off SSD (C drive) and onto spinning disk (D drive) using the Location tab under the folders properties. I installed WMC without a hitch, that's my gaming desktop so probably not completely like your setup since it's a laptop. Are you running multiple drives/partitions?

4. thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1 Platinum Member

I'm not running mult. drives or partitions at all. Just 1 128gb ssd running in the laptop which is why I didn't think the whole junction thing didn't apply. I'm going to let it finish updating tonight and see if maybe that's the problem.