Adding second vid card for SLI

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
I'm currently running a EVGA GTX260 superclocked on my mobo. It has the second PCIe slot for a second vid card but in the manual for the mobo it is suggesting the use of ATI cards as the mobo supports X-Fire, an ATI product. Can I still add a second card, an Nvidia card to get SLI on this mobo? I think I can but before buying the card I'd like to know for sure. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

Jd007

Jan 1, 2010
The only chipsets that support SLI are: nVidia's chipset and Intel's P55 + X58. I used to own the same board as yours; it is based on AMD's 790 chipset, and only support ATI CrossFire (@ x8 x8).

jpk

Mar 30, 2001
Thanks. I have come to that conclusion researching on the net. I currently have a EVGA GTX260 Superclocked 216 core card. If I were to replace this card with ATI's product, which one would be similar in performance? I would be doing so with the thought that I would be going to crossfire at some point. Is there an AM3 motherboard that supports SLi? Wondering if it might be less expensive to replace the mobo rather than the vid card.

Last edited:

Atls

Dec 3, 2006
Thanks. I have come to that conclusion researching on the net. I currently have a EVGA GTX260 Superclocked 216 core card. If I were to replace this card with ATI's product, which one would be similar in performance? I would be doing so with the thought that I would be going to crossfire at some point.

The 4870 is similar, but if you're looking to switch, opt for the 4890/5770 instead.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Thanks. I have come to that conclusion researching on the net. I currently have a EVGA GTX260 Superclocked 216 core card. If I were to replace this card with ATI's product, which one would be similar in performance? I would be doing so with the thought that I would be going to crossfire at some point. Is there an AM3 motherboard that supports SLi? Wondering if it might be less expensive to replace the mobo rather than the vid card.

Read the post right above the one I just quoted.