Adding rear speakers to a Audigy 2 ZS do you actually get rear surround or?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I was reading where some of the ID guys were testing Doom III in 7.1 surround sound at night with the lights off and when anyone would come up from behind who ever was testing it would scare the crap out them because it was so hard to tell the difference between rear surround sounds and real sounds coming from behind them.

So I decided I wanted to upgrade my 5.1 to a 7.1 system in preparation for Doom III and for watching DVD movies. I have a Audigy 2 ZS with Kilpsch Promedia 5.1 speakers, I found Kilpsch Promedia 2.1 system for dirt cheap on EBay. If I get the Promedia 2.1 I figured I would put the extra sub in the rear as well giving me a 7.2 system. However I got to looking at the way you have to setup the Audigy 2 ZS for 7.1, you have to split the center/sub out for left and right rears. Doing it that way one would think you are just going to get mostly center speaker voice sounds in the rear and that would suck.

So my question is does anyone here have an Audigy 2 ZS with a 7.1 speaker configuration?

If so what sounds are you getting out of the rear? Does is sound like surround or dual center speakers?

Thanks for any info

Socio