adding paypal fees against TOS -

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I just had an interesting thought - a lot of the auctions I go to, they have a 13% buyers fee, but a 3% discount if you purchase by cash or check. I know their intention is so that they only charge you a 10% fee if you pay by cash, but that's not how the math works out. I wonder if I can hold them to it and raise a stink about it.

i.e. if an item costs $100, their intention is that you pay $110 cash/check, else $113 credit/debit card.

However, if I get a 3% discount, then 113% of 97% of something (or vice versa, since it's commutative) works out to 9.61% being added on. I think I'll be a prick about it next time. :)

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Just jack up the price of what you are wanting to sell and have a "Cash Discount"

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
yeah it hurts, but thats the way it is

i do the opposite (requires 2 paypal accounts) - if able to receive non-CC paypal at a personal account, give 3% discount -- otherwise use regular premiere account

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
Ebay and paypal are making big monies for I don't know how much it costs to run their operations.

$1000 worth of items = ~$30 dollars paypal + ~$60 ebay. Net income ~$900.

Now assume 1 million's worth of paypal/ebay is going thru everyday.. look at that cash.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I just had an interesting thought - a lot of the auctions I go to, they have a 13% buyers fee, but a 3% discount if you purchase by cash or check. I know their intention is so that they only charge you a 10% fee if you pay by cash, but that's not how the math works out. I wonder if I can hold them to it and raise a stink about it.

i.e. if an item costs $100, their intention is that you pay $110 cash/check, else $113 credit/debit card.

However, if I get a 3% discount, then 113% of 97% of something (or vice versa, since it's commutative) works out to 9.61% being added on. I think I'll be a prick about it next time. :)
Next time?