Question Adding memory to old NAS, PC3 12800 CL11

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I've got two lenovo PX4-400d NAS units, based on intel D2701 cpu, 2x 204 pin slots with 1 2GB SODIMM, status page show DDr3 as 1.52v. I had no luck looking up the part number for the Apacer memory, pict below, and most of what I am finding are 1.35v, many claiming to work in 1.5v. I think the board will support 16GB, but my plans are to keep it for use as a NAS just running a MUCH newer Linux kernal and widgets, so thinking more like 2x 4 or 8GB in one unit, and both old 2GB in the other. Opinions or suggestions, thanks.

I may start with this from MicroCenter, https://www.microcenter.com/product...3l-12800-cl11-dual-channel-so-dimm-memory-kit

Attachments

• PX4-400d Ram simm.jpg
    PX4-400d Ram simm.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 10

WPGRonin

Dec 2, 2020
Your quote from other thread.....

"Bits and pieces of info in various posts in this thread. Basics are; put a Linux of your choice on a USB drive, hook up a keyboard, not sure how, maybe USB, and maybe a monitor to the HDMI, press delete key during boot to get to the bios and change boot sequence. What next gets more complicated."

I'm running trial copy of Unraid on usb stick inserted in back of unit. USB mouse and keyboard also in back. Hdmi is hooked up to monitor and allows you to get into Bios for changes(NICE) UPS is hooked up but has not been tested thru Unraid as of yet. Tried Arziana's blog Unraid fan control steps and it seems to work. Otherwise the fans just idle with drives and motherboard temps climbing. For laughs I am going to put Windows 10 on an ssd with USB adapter and see if that will boot and run.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
MC ram was in store only, out of stock at my local MC. I ended up ordering items from Fleabay, 2x 2GB cost about $15 for some PC2 laptop I needed, a few dollars more for the 2x 2GB PC3 for the NAS, going to 4GB sticks price each jumps to $40+, so not for now. Same thing for Intel pcie 10GBE cards, like $75. eSata plus USB for power to 22pin adapter (to hook up a SSD I have) cheap, like $10 or so.

WPGRonin

Dec 2, 2020
Windows on the PX4........damn sllooowwww. More memory would probably help matters.
My HP Mediasmart Server running Windows 10 is faster. Only 2GB memory on it too.
Back to trying to learn Unraid. Should have tried learning Linux years ago..........

WPGRonin

Dec 2, 2020
Windows 10 is definitely slow but works. Just need PLEX to play nice! Plex seemed to work better under UNRAID. So I guess I need to purchase a license for UNRAID and sit down and learn it proper. Friend told me that all I should need is PLEX, Krusader and SMB installed for what I want, which is Plex Server and a machine to backup computers to. So on that thought.........

Merry Christmas to all and please stay safe.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I popped in 2x 4GB SODIMMs, have NOT touched any bios setting, system is still doing the RAID5 thing on the 4x 6TB drives installed at the same time, status page shows memory as 3.41 GB, so I may need to enable second slot in bios or something. 1x 2GB pulled from this NAS destined to join the factory 1x 2GB in my other PX4.