Adding Arctic Silver 5 to my Amd 64 3000+ w/ stock fan/heatsink

BBock7271

Banned
Jan 11, 2005
Can someone plz give me directions on a correct way to do this. I thuoght i knew how but now im getting worried sicne people say they are frying and voiding warranty. If anyone can give me good instructions ill appreciate it. What i would have done was put a thin layer on it , spreading w/ a business card.

THx

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The retail cooler uses Shin-etsu T.I.M, it is good stuff and there is no reason to change it. If you get 1c cooling difference was it worth the effort? If you don't overclock, the warranty is protected by using the stock as well.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BBock7271
i will overclock... so i want arctic silver
Effort in futility if you think it will help your results ;)

BBock7271

Banned
Jan 11, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
The retail cooler uses Shin-etsu T.I.M, it is good stuff and there is no reason to change it. If you get 1c cooling difference was it worth the effort? If you don't overclock, the warranty is protected by using the stock as well.

Do other people think when overclocking , that the stock stuff is just about as good as arctic silver.. or should i go arctic silver?

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

Do other people think when overclocking , that the stock stuff is just about as good as arctic silver.. or should i go arctic silver?

artic silver 5 :D best

BBock7271

Banned
Jan 11, 2005
i think i have to go w/ arctic silver 5 over the stock stuff since i only bought the 3000+ and was planning on overclocking it alot! I know i wont screw up the application, but if the stupid chip sizzles for another reason and i get stuck w/ a voided warranty ill be pissed

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
i think i have to go w/ arctic silver 5 over the stock stuff since i only bought the 3000+ and was planning on overclocking it alot! I know i wont screw up the application, but if the stupid chip sizzles for another reason and i get stuck w/ a voided warranty ill be pissed

The moment you start OCing the Square it voids the warranty...

ts3433

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Just use the stock TIM. Shin-Etsu is almost as good as AS5--this is partly why so many people have been getting high overclocks with stock cooling.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: ts3433
Just use the stock TIM. Shin-Etsu is almost as good as AS5--this is partly why so many people have been getting high overclocks with stock cooling.

As DAPUNISHER stated before, it's an effort in futility.

bpm3k

Jan 17, 2005
Originally posted by: BBock7271What i would have done was put a thin layer on it , spreading w/ a business card.THx

According the the arctic silver webpage this is WRONG.

Read the instructions here.

To sum it up, make sure heatsink and heat spreader (metal part covering cpu) are clean put small amount of AS 5 ("About the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 3/4 of a BB.") in middle of heat spreader. Then WITHOUT spreading attach heatsink. If possible "Once the heatsink is properly mounted, grasp the heatsink and very gently twist it slightly clockwise and counterclockwise one time each if possible. (Just one or two degrees or so.)" That is all. Once again, spreading it is wrong. The pressure from the heat sink will spread it fine.

imverygifted

Golden Member
Dec 22, 2004
use those instructions bpm3k posted, the plastic bag over your finger works the best, its what i use and remember arctic silver 5 is thick and really sticky so use as little as possible to cover the surface

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Ok, my suggestion is you add a very small amount, the install the HSF onto the CPU. Then remove it and check the spread. If it is good, you how much to add. You will also know if you added too much or too little.
I also agree that you shouldn't worry about the warranty. If you OC, then the warranty is void. But if you just add AS (correctly), that will not void the AMD warranty. If this an OEM, check with your retailer FIRST to see what there policy is. I know first hand how important that is. LOL