Adding acetone to gasoline for improved gas mileage

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Well first off, mythbusters just busted this... as unscientific as they are, they're trustworthy as far as this goes.

Secondly, who honestly believes this junk? This is no different from calling Madame Cleo's 1-900 number for $4.99 a minute and hearing your future in a fake Jamaican accent. Logic dictates that this would be pretty big fscking news if it worked. Yet it's something you hear from your brother's friend's cousin's coworker's kid's dentist's paperboy. Billions of dollars go into eeking every last miniscule percentage of performance out of today's engines, but $.99 nail polish remover or something similar (the fuel pill is another good one) can increase it by 1000%? Why do people not use their heads?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I tried it when I had a 100 mile commute (one way)
didn't do anything consistent for me.

First tank improved 1.5MPG, 2nd, 3rd and 4th tanks were about 0.8MPG worse than usual. Normal mileage resumed after that

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Consider that IF it really worked, the oil companies would already be doing it... There's lots of anecdotal evidence out there to support doing this, but then again, the same can be said for taping a cow magnet to your fuel line, to get all the molecules in the gasoline to align for better fuel economy...;) Remember, SOMEONE has to buy that Tornado fuel saver...

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Love the warning in the article, "never use solvents in your fuel"... You mean like, i don't know, acetone?

Like using alcohol, I would suspect that some parts in your fuel system may not be ready for acetone. It will damage some plastics that gasoline will not affect. But, it will remove any Sharpe marks inside your fuel system (2nd best to a dry wipe marker for removing Sharpe from a whiteboard - works better, but less safe to handle).