Adding a wireless DSL modem/router to a business LAN

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
My dad has a small business LAN in his office, consisting of of 5 computers connected to one of these.

Switch Manual for refrence

He recently signed up for Fastaccess DSL and got his modem in the mail. I believe it is one of these. (the 3347-02 model). It has a port where you plug in the DSL line and then 4 ethernet ports.

I haven't networked anything in a while but would I just need to connect it up like:

Phone Jack > DSL Filter > DSL Port on modem then any Ethernet Port on modem to any open port on the Switch and bam internet on all the computers?

alpineranger

Feb 3, 2001
Problem alert: for this to work, all the computers must know to go to the router to get internet access. You already have either static ips or dhcp on the network, in the former case, make sure all the computers use dhcp, in the latter case, turn off the existing dhcp server.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: alpineranger
Problem alert: for this to work, all the computers must know to go to the router to get internet access. You already have either static ips or dhcp on the network, in the former case, make sure all the computers use dhcp, in the latter case, turn off the existing dhcp server.

How would I check to see which one it is?

I know right now they are using one of the systems as a server for the office software(medical, appointmet/schedule related).

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Originally posted by: SithSolo1
Originally posted by: alpineranger

How would I check to see which one it is?

I know right now they are using one of the systems as a server for the office software(medical, appointmet/schedule related).

OP, you'll need a router to accomplish what you want (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, Asus WL-520GU), plug the router's WAN port to the DSL modem's ethernet port and then plug your switch into the router's ethernet port and then you'll have internet on all of your PC's. Make sure to change your IP's to automatic DHCP so it gets it's IP information from the router's DHCP server

alpineranger

Feb 3, 2001
for linux, it always tells you what the dhcp server's mac address is - don't know the analog for windows. That said, your ip addresses may be all static and in that case you don't need to worry about it

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Originally posted by: SithSolo1
The modem is also a router.

Your sure the modem is a router? If it is, you'll need to make a few adjustments on your network as I assume right now your using all static IP assignment since you have no DHCP server. You can either set all PC's to static and see if your router can do static DHCP if your doing any kind of file sharing or you'll need to make sure your static IP subnet is the same as the dsl modem/router (if modem's IP is 192.168.1.1 then your pc's will need to be 192.168.1.x and set their gateway to 192.168.1.1 and also set DNS to something like 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2)