adding a router to a modem/router - ATT U-Verse

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nvidiaguy07, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Nvidiaguy07

Nvidiaguy07 Platinum Member

A few months ago i switched from comcast to U-Verse. I used to just have their modem plugged into my linksys router, but when they installed U-verse they put their modem in that already has a router built in. I said it was fine at the time because i only needed 2 ports (2 out of the 4 were connected to cable boxes). He assured me if i needed to i could hook my linksys router and have additional ports, which i didnt think was possible but i didnt really care too much at the time.

Well the time has come when im sick of unplugging my pc to play my 360 so i decided to try out my router.

When i plug it in nothing works behind it. Im not really sure how to approach this because im not sure which addresses the routers assign will overlap each other.

I tried looking in the settings for the ATT router, but they really suck and you cant change much in there.

I found this somewhere but it sort of confuses me: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/737821-problems-uverse-linksys-routers.html

how can i do this. I obviously only need 1 wireless network - probably the linksys because its on the middle floor, but i do need both wired routers for the extra ports.

2. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

long explanation short ... turn off DHCP on your second router, and just daisy chain it with your u-verse router/modem. It will act like a switch, and all should be good.

3. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator