Adding a light timer to a fan..?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
My master bedroom has a light/fan combo that are seperately controlled (one switch for light and one for fan). Is it okay to put a normal light dimmer switch on the light? Basically are they seperate circuits or would it dim the 'total power' to the light and fan even though they are seperately switched..

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: zixxer
My master bedroom has a light/fan combo that are seperately controlled (one switch for light and one for fan). Is it okay to put a normal light dimmer switch on the light? Basically are they seperate circuits or would it dim the 'total power' to the light and fan even though they are seperately switched..

Pretty sure you can do that...

You could even get a switch that has two dimmer-type switches in it, one for the light and one for the fan. That way you don't have to pull the cord on the fan.

Edit: Like so: http://www.lampsusa.com/productimages/montecarlo/ESSWC3AL.jpg (except the one I'm referring to has that slider split in half and they move independently - one for the light and one for the fan. Of course if you already have two switches, I guess you'd want to keep it that way)