Adding a fan to router

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
I want to add a standard fan to my router as it gets uber gay when its hot. Like now. I will take a pic of the board, but where should I look for + - contacts?
Near the power input

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I wouldn't go just connecting a fan to someplace in the router as I don't think they're really designed to power anything extra. Just get a fan powered by some external source.

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
You dont think I could suck a few extra volts outta it? I didnt really want to have another power adapter.

Couldnt I just say use a 10 volt instead of a 5 volt since the fan will draw 5 and router 5?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Munchies
You dont think I could suck a few extra volts outta it? I didnt really want to have another power adapter.

Couldnt I just say use a 10 volt instead of a 5 volt since the fan will draw 5 and router 5?
That would only be true if you wired the fan and router in series, not parallel. And you do NOT want to do that. If you wire the fan in parallel right where the power adapter comes into the router, and IF the power adapter can supply enough current for both, then it will probably work. I still wouldn't say it's the best idea in the world.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
There is something wrong with the router. My router is fairly warm, as are all consumer routers by linksys, netgear, dlink, etc. but they can run fine without any additional cooling.

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
This is the third linksys 4 port router i have owned, they have all done this.
I am constantly transferring LARGE files(s) in excess of 30 gig (combined) back and forth + major p2p'ing .
She gets hot.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
I am constantly transferring LARGE files(s) in excess of 30 gig (combined) back and forth + major p2p'ing .
She gets hot.

so you mean the other 2 died?

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
She gets hot.

so you mean the other 2 died?

One died and the other was pushing 2+ years so i did a return.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

Obviously you're not an electrical engineer ;)

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
If it's a 12v power source, then you're golden. Just solder the fan to the contacts on the bottom of the input connector (for the AC Adapter). Most of those AC adapters are horribly over spec'ed and will be able to supply more current if needed (say, if you connected an additional fan).

If the power supply is anything lower than 7 volts or so, you will have to find a special low voltage fan to work with (instead of a standard 12v computer fan). Other than that, it would be exactly the same as above.

I have done this exact same thing before, only on a d-link switch. it worked fine.

ebaycj

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ebaycj

Obviously you're not an electrical engineer ;)

lol..... No doubt.

the answer is no, you aren't going to be able to randomly hook a fan up.