Adding a center speaker to a 2.1 stereo

Nov 25, 2018
I have a old peavy 500 watt amp with a mixer. Amp has 2 channels, two speaker wire terminals and 4 speaker cable outputs (sub is plugged into on if these). I recently got two 70watt 8 ohm Yamaha NS-6490 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers. Any way I can add a center speaker? Movies sound a little funny if your sitting on one side or the other of the TV. Can I just connect the red from one speaker and the black from the other to the center speaker? Do I have to match ohms? Thanks for your help I would just get a new 5.1 reciever but that got shut down by the wife... And no I can't replace her.haha

Attachments

May 30, 2000
What you are planing won't work. Your amp has 2 channels, left & right. You need something with a third channel for center, which we both know is a new receiver or processor. Man up, and do what we both know must be done.

Sep 29, 2004
The absolute cheapest receiver from Best Buy will be an upgrade. If you ant ot use your amps, get the cheapest recevier that has pre-outs for the amps that you want to use.

accessories4less.com (google for actual spelling) has refurbs that many audiophiles buy to save money on upgrades. A 2 year old receiver that is a repair is pretty damned cheap and will do everything you want. I'm a Denon fan. But get whatever you want. An X series Denon goes a long way!

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
get a decent avr, use it for the speakers
use the peavy for the sub

run the room correction, it whould be fine

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS