Added yet more. Some VERY old pics from way back then I found in my house.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Can you read the fine-print on the no negro guides sign? I can't make it out.

It looks like it could be a signature: "Something "SID" something something"

Or it could be "Beware SID something something"

It also looks like there are some numbers around the last something.

Definitely not a nice sign with the skull and bones there.

The other one says "No fishing on dock or boats at landing, Please do not launch boats off docks"

I can't make out the third sign, but it looks like it may have a DEAD in there.

There also appear to be some black guys at the dock.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
The house I'm in now I bought about 6 months ago. When I was tearing out an old heater I found a really old black and white photo of a young man standing next to my house when it was newer (house was built in 1938). Thought that was cool.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for the pics, keep em coming if you can. This is freaking fascinating to me lol.

Twist: now you're haunted.

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
The more that I look at the first picture, the more I'm liking it. I think this is a kick-ass picture in a "bad" kind of way.

Looks like there is a black kid kneeling down in the bushes. So - did the black guys "have" to kneel down on the ground cause the white guys didn't want them to stand up? I thought the old south standard was that black guys had to stand up when a white guy was around. So I'm not figuring this picture out.

I think there is a hell of a story in this picture. Just wish that I knew what it was.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
The more that I look at the first picture, the more I'm liking it. I think this is a kick-ass picture in a "bad" kind of way.

Looks like there is a black kid kneeling down in the bushes. So - did the black guys "have" to kneel down on the ground cause the white guys didn't want them to stand up? I thought the old south standard was that black guys had to stand up when a white guy was around. So I'm not figuring this picture out.

I think there is a hell of a story in this picture. Just wish that I knew what it was.

I think cracked.com might pay top dollar for the first photo solely for the prized mustache content.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
img026_zps901f59c7.jpg

img027_zpsc6ab6369.jpg

img029_zps9a697b8c.jpg

img028_zps57ecd934.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The right thing would be to try to backtrack previous owners to see who they belonged to...MAYBE they would like to have them back...

Of course, I have a shit-ton of those from my family...and I don't have the slightest idea who most of the people in the pictures even are...:p

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'll take as many as you feel like uploading. I'm saving them all to my hd.

Edit:
BTW, some of those are clearly copyright infringement, you filthy pirate. You should be strung up by the balls for STEALING other people's ip(vague propaganda term).

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I'll take as many as you feel like uploading. I'm saving them all to my hd.

Edit:
BTW, some of those are clearly copyright infringement, you filthy pirate. You should be strung up by the balls for STEALING other people's ip(vague propaganda term).

There are no photography stamp on any of the pictures. Infact there is nothing at all on the back of the pictures Im posting.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
???:confused: Do tell...

1922 is the magic number. Anything after that falls under US copyright law, and there's at least a couple posted that are after 1922. That's perfectly reasonable of course. The US Constitution allows copyright for a limited time, and everything has limits. Hell, this whole planet's only been here for a limited time. Very limited if you look at the big picture, so what's a measly 100 years or so when you're comparing it to something like earth, right? Right!!??

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
did they all dress like that even when it was 90F outside?

I don't even see how Amish men today dress as they do when it's that hot out let alone people back then. If i wear a long sleeve anything above 90F i feel sickly.