"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM" givin hassles :(

ICEVaPa

Dec 11, 2002
I recently tried to uninstall some software, but when ever i click uninstall in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS it comes up with an error telling me that it cant find the uninstall file...

So i decided to try delete the folder manually... so i did.

Now when i try install the program again. It tells me that i cant because it is already installed.

I need to somehow get rid of the program in the actual ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS list...

Is there a way to do this? do i need a program or something?

Please help

(The reason i uninstalled the program in the first place was becuase it was giving me troubles... If anybody wants to know):D

Buzzman151

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
Its all in a registry file so all you should have to do is email tech support of the software company (cross your fingers on that one) and ask them what the name of the uninstall reg file is and any other reg files you'll have to delete, search for them, delete them, install, and wholla, all fixed ;)

morkinva

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
TweakUI is able to delete just the entry in the add/remove list, but does nothing for unloading the program's components.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I recently tried to uninstall some software, but when ever i click uninstall in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS it comes up with an error telling me that it cant find the uninstall file...

This can often be fixed by doing two steps.

1) Go to the particular programs install directory and locate a file named something like 'install.log' or whatever the name of the file is that you get in the error message. Move that File to the root of your drive, ie, C:\install.log.

2) Visit your registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Uninstall > "program"
Then you change the UninstallString key. It will have a value that points to the old location of where the install.log file was, change that to the new location (C:\install.log)

For some reason, even if the path is correct, the uninstaller cant always find the file unless its on the root..