Adaware - a scam ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
I have had some probs with the changing of my home page, with a some mess-ups of certain programs (Chief Architect, mainly).

I downloaded Adaware. It says I have a virus 'backdoor.ryejet', and wants 29.00 to remove it. I done a google and saw many complaints on adaware - saying it is a scam.

What gives? There is something causing a problem with my PC. My AVG does not pick it up & Adaware looks to be out to fleece me.

Any idea how to fix this?
Thanks!

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Thanks, all.

You are right. It was noadware ..http://www.noadware.net/?hop=wintech. I also have the Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition form Lavasoft. I have used it and it has quanintened number of files. I do hope that it took care of this 'backdoor.ryejet'. That is the virus that was described to a T as far as what it was doing to my PC. Did not show up, though - through an AVG scan. It must have been a simular type problem virus.

Time will tell.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Neos
Thanks, all.

You are right. It was noadware ..http://www.noadware.net/?hop=wintech. I also have the Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition form Lavasoft. I have used it and it has quanintened number of files. I do hope that it took care of this 'backdoor.ryejet'. That is the virus that was described to a T as far as what it was doing to my PC. Did not show up, though - through an AVG scan. It must have been a simular type problem virus.

Time will tell.

You may also want to try Spybot Search & Destroy in combination with Ad-Aware. I'm pretty sure most people here, like myself, use both to combat spyware. It's a little more aggressive than Ad-Adaware. I tend to run both bi-weekly just to keep things in check.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Thanks
I have had Spybot for a spell, and will now run both that and Ad Aware often.

I do wonder why my AVG did not catch this, though?? This 'backdoor.ryejet' that was/is supossed to be there is a trojon virus - according to Symantec.

AVG did not even list it. Makes me wonder if AVG might not be as good as I thought.

montag451

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
AVG is good for not have much of a footprint in terms of resources, but in some tests, only catches about 68%.
Kaspersky tops out at about 99% and is almost always the best of the bunch - BUT - on some systems, the latest version just seems to wallow in RAM.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Thanks
I do wonder why my AVG did not catch this, though?? This 'backdoor.ryejet' that was/is supossed to be there is a trojon virus - according to Symantec.

AVG did not even list it. Makes me wonder if AVG might not be as good as I thought.

This is a backdoor, which may not technically be classified as a virus.

Virus programs often only look for viruses, which I think are not nearly as common as they were a few years ago. The bigger problem these days is spyware/adware/malware whatever you want to call it, which are much more difficult to protect against because often the user actually approves their installation, or they make use of loopholes in specific programs.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Do you mean during log on? I am not even sure if I implement admin priv.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Do you mean during log on? I am not even sure if I implement admin priv.

Your user account probably had administrator privileges. STOP DOING THAT. It's a simple fix to almost all virus and spyware issues.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Can you give me a few hints? I went to user accounts in the control panel, and the log on account is the main admin account. Do I need to create a password, or make other changes (IYHO).

By the way - I think the prob is still there. When I rebooted a while ago - the home page was changed.

Thanks for the input.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
STOP USING AN ACCOUNT WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVS.
:D

Create a new Administrator-class account and then switch your usual account to a Limited account. Are you on WinXP Home or WinXP Pro there?

Also, tonight before you go to bed, uninstall AVG and install/configure/update a 30-day trial of Kaspersky: http://www.omnicast.net/~tmcfadden/guides/build/kaspersky.html Then fire off an exhaustive scan and call it a night, and see what it's found in the morning. If you use up your 30 days and don't want to buy it, it uninstalls ok and you can go back to AVG or AntiVir.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
I have XP Pro.

OK - I have downloaded the Kaspersky. I will now take out the the AVG and put this in motion.

I presume that when I log on now - I would access the new account admin - right?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Thanks
I have had Spybot for a spell, and will now run both that and Ad Aware often.

I've just changed to Antivir, since two of my computers and my parents computer got infected using AVG.

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Well, the Kaspersky found the backdoor. That is great news here. Looks like I will be changing to this from AVG.

Gotta check it out further, but does the Kaspersky have a firewall built in ? I have Zonealarm also and they seem to be doing the same job.

Status
Not open for further replies.