Adam Schiff Accused of Protecting an FBI Internet Surveillance Dragnet

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999

Nearly a dozen civil liberties organizations have accused Congressman Adam Schiff and other Democratic leaders of purposely undermining the online privacy of U.S. citizens and immigrants; possibly in an effort, they say, to conceal the unlawful surveillance of Americans’ web browsing activity by the FBI’s national security branch.
In May, Democrats engaged in closed-door negotiations over a proposed amendment aimed at shielding U.S. residents who are not suspected of violating the law from having their search and web browsing histories seized by the FBI without a warrant. Democratic and Republican sources on Capitol Hill told Gizmodo that the efforts were continually hindered by top Democrats, including Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who sat on the committee more than a decade ago.

So, who wants to get a VPN? Or perhaps TOR Browser?

In related news, here's a review of some VPNs. Here's another. Just avoid the free ones, and the ones based in Hong Kong!

Reactions: FaaR and pcgeek11

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
There is *A LOT* to unpack in that article and it sort of wonders all over the place on intent.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
There is *A LOT* to unpack in that article and it sort of wonders all over the place on intent.
Tl;dr: civil liberties organizations: We think Democrats in Congress are fighting Internet privacy so hard that they must be supporting a program to illegally spy on Americans' Internet; but if they are it's classified. :fearscream:

Reactions: pcgeek11

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Fappity-fap. Who runs the FBI, anyway? Congress, or the Executive branch?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Fappity-fap. Who runs the FBI, anyway? Congress, or the Executive branch?

As we have all learned the hard way with Trump, when we end up with a tyrant leading the nation, that despot will use every resource the gov't has to offer for his personal use and gain. He takes personal control over everything he can corrupt into his influence and exploits it all for his own purposes.

What was meant to benefit the people of the nation has been corrupted into what benefits only one man because that man does not have the ability to lead as any leader of a free nation should and have been. Trump defaults to a position of ultimate authority because he can't lead any other way and it just so happens to be the way where a spoiled brat takes control of their parents.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I've been using ExpressVPN for a few years now. Bumps my ~200MB connections in half when I turn it on.

Useable... $99/year.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I get a good chuckle out of this. I mean, good on them for "caring", but gimme a break. Here's an excerpt:

“After extensive bicameral, bipartisan deliberations, there will be a vote to include a final significant reform to Section 215 [of the USA Patriot Act] that protects Americans’ civil liberties,” Lofgren, a Democrat of California, said. “Without this prohibition, intelligence officials can potentially have access to information such as our personal health, religious practices, and political views without a warrant,” she added.

Don't worry, your go to social media platform already has it, and if you use they're app or share a device, they have other people's to.

Oh, and don't forget the rollback of net neutrality, your ISP already has this data.

So before I rush to judgement, let's just consider how much Americans actually care about this, and the fact that it was part of the Patriot act for over a decade (almost two now?).

I think it's a good change, but I won't delude myself into thinking Americans, or 'muricans care about it other than it's got Schiff and pelosi the baby eaters in there.

Sure you can use a VPN to help stop this, but let's see how long that lasts.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I get a good chuckle out of this. I mean, good on them for "caring", but gimme a break. Here's an excerpt:

Don't worry, your go to social media platform already has it, and if you use they're app or share a device, they have other people's to.

Oh, and don't forget the rollback of net neutrality, your ISP already has this data.

So before I rush to judgement, let's just consider how much Americans actually care about this, and the fact that it was part of the Patriot act for over a decade (almost two now?).

I think it's a good change, but I won't delude myself into thinking Americans, or 'muricans care about it other than it's got Schiff and pelosi the baby eaters in there.

Sure you can use a VPN to help stop this, but let's see how long that lasts.
I keep getting notices from Bank America that there's something wrong with my profile. Yea, I won't give them my cell phone#. They are all doing it.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
As we have all learned the hard way with Trump, when we end up with a tyrant leading the nation, that despot will use every resource the gov't has to offer for his personal use and gain. He takes personal control over everything he can corrupt into his influence and exploits it all for his own purposes.

What was meant to benefit the people of the nation has been corrupted into what benefits only one man because that man does not have the ability to lead as any leader of a free nation should and have been. Trump defaults to a position of ultimate authority because he can't lead any other way and it just so happens to be the way where a spoiled brat takes control of their parents.
Don't you mean is that we've learned the DOJ and other government agencies forget about silly things related to Constitutional protections when going after someone they don't like? The Progressheviks and their minions used every dirty tactic to prevent Trump from being elected and later impeaching him. We only learned of the gross violations by the FBI and members of the DOJ because the Democrats are highly incompetent.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Don't you mean is that we've learned the DOJ and other government agencies forget about silly things related to Constitutional protections when going after someone they don't like? The Progressheviks and their minions used every dirty tactic to prevent Trump from being elected and later impeaching him. We only learned of the gross violations by the FBI and members of the DOJ because the Democrats are highly incompetent.

So, uhh, since provisions of the act in question expired in March & the FBI may still be using them it's congressional Dems fault because reasons?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Nope.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The fever dreams of a luntic.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Here let me call you a waaaahhhmbulance...
waambulance.jpg