Adam Lanza sounds like a lot of people I know on the internet.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I do find it weird how a lot of people online seem to be obsessed with various things. I've never met anyone in real life who acts anything like a whole lot of people on the Internet.

Last edited:

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
Want to Ensure There’s Not Another Adam Lanza? Look at the ‘Lost Boys’ Around You

Takepart.com – 19 hrs ago.

Following the shootings in Newtown and other recent mass shootings, the White House issued the following announcement: “The Administration is proposing steps to identify mental health issues early and help individuals get the treatment they need before these dangerous situations develop.”

But as a clinical psychologist, I have to ask whether earlier mental health treatment is what will actually make the difference in preventing more of these tragic shootings. Do we need to rethink mental health care altogether so that it includes all of us, not just mental health professionals?

There are a few things we know about these types of mass shootings. First, most mass shooters have been young males. In his classic book Lost Boys, psychologist James Garbarino concludes that “when boys kill, they are seeking justice—as they see it, through their eyes.”

These boys see themselves as having been wronged, often by peers, by schools, by authorities, by society, and/or by life. They have been either bullied or ignored, and often come to feel like a burden to their parents; an unpleasant irritation to their teachers; and/or a pariah among their peers. They become hopeless that they can ever be a joy to someone. And they experience overwhelming emotional pain, a major fuel for violence.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/want-ensure-not-another-adam-lanza-look-lost-173400036.html

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The problem with predicting mass shooters is that there are tons of false positives. Just about anyone can personally identify someone that fits the gross profile that currently exists.

May 16, 2000
*raises hand*

*slinks quietly away*

Seriously though, it certainly matches me. Intelligent, outcast, introvert, anti-social, overwhelming 'nerd' interests, bullied, etc. Now ex military, ex security, defense instructor, firearms instructor, small arsenal, extremely anti government, largely libertarian (NOT 'L'ibertarian however), quick temper, not that much to live for, and so on.

The primary difference that I see is that my idealism would never allow me to strike at innocents. A session of Congress...now THAT's a 1/2 donkey 1/2 elephant of a different color. But not schools or theaters...I actually LIKE those places.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
*raises hand*

*slinks quietly away*

Seriously though, it certainly matches me. Intelligent, outcast, introvert, anti-social, overwhelming 'nerd' interests, bullied, etc. Now ex military, ex security, defense instructor, firearms instructor, small arsenal, extremely anti government, largely libertarian (NOT 'L'ibertarian however), quick temper, not that much to live for, and so on.

The primary difference that I see is that my idealism would never allow me to strike at innocents. A session of Congress...now THAT's a 1/2 donkey 1/2 elephant of a different color. But not schools or theaters...I actually LIKE those places.

Planting seeds, are we? I am shocked you would willingly post that on a public forum and still be around next week unless you are Johnny Appleseed...hmmmm, weird world we live in now, eh?

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Want to Ensure There’s Not Another Adam Lanza? Look at the ‘Lost Boys’ Around You

Following the shootings in Newtown and other recent mass shootings, the White House issued the following announcement: “The Administration is proposing steps to identify mental health issues early and help individuals get the treatment they need before these dangerous situations develop.”

But as a clinical psychologist, I have to ask whether earlier mental health treatment is what will actually make the difference in preventing more of these tragic shootings. Do we need to rethink mental health care altogether so that it includes all of us, not just mental health professionals?

There are a few things we know about these types of mass shootings. First, most mass shooters have been young males. In his classic book Lost Boys, psychologist James Garbarino concludes that “when boys kill, they are seeking justice—as they see it, through their eyes.”

These boys see themselves as having been wronged, often by peers, by schools, by authorities, by society, and/or by life. They have been either bullied or ignored, and often come to feel like a burden to their parents; an unpleasant irritation to their teachers; and/or a pariah among their peers. They become hopeless that they can ever be a joy to someone. And they experience overwhelming emotional pain, a major fuel for violence.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/want-ensure-not-another-adam-lanza-look-lost-173400036.html

Good article. Dismayingly short on solutions, tho. We have no protocol for reporting those boys to someone who can get them the help they need, before it gets to the point where that pain becomes overwhelming.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Good article. Dismayingly short on solutions, tho. We have no protocol for reporting those boys to someone who can get them the help they need, before it gets to the point where that pain becomes overwhelming.

The real problem is there isn't really anything law enforcement can do until a crime is committed. I read an article about a mother whose child suffers from some form of mental illness. What it is has yet to be diagnosed. Doctors are unsure of what it actually could be. He is young, very intelligent, but goes off on violent rampages for no obvious reason. His mother has to carry all the knives that were in the house with her at all times and had to train her daughter to go run to the car and lock if he gets upset. Her real problem hasn't started yet. She can 'control' him for now because he is still a small child, but once he gets to 15 or 16, she won't be able to stop him.

Since there really isn't an option of locking him in prison, because 90% of the time he is just fine and productive, and hasn't really done anything illegal, yet.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
The real problem is there isn't really anything law enforcement can do until a crime is committed. I read an article about a mother whose child suffers from some form of mental illness. What it is has yet to be diagnosed. Doctors are unsure of what it actually could be. He is young, very intelligent, but goes off on violent rampages for no obvious reason. His mother has to carry all the knives that were in the house with her at all times and had to train her daughter to go run to the car and lock if he gets upset. Her real problem hasn't started yet. She can 'control' him for now because he is still a small child, but once he gets to 15 or 16, she won't be able to stop him.

Since there really isn't an option of locking him in prison, because 90% of the time he is just fine and productive, and hasn't really done anything illegal, yet.

Law enforcement has been left to deal with those who are not capable of controlling themselves. We need mental health experts who are able to step in before a crime is committed.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Law enforcement has been left to deal with those who are not capable of controlling themselves. We need mental health experts who are able to step in before a crime is committed.

Or maybe we just need to let these "crazy" klds' parents testify in the LIBOR scandal trial before they allegedly go on shooting rampages that they either cannot remember or do not survive...

May 16, 2000
Planting seeds, are we? I am shocked you would willingly post that on a public forum and still be around next week unless you are Johnny Appleseed...hmmmm, weird world we live in now, eh?

Why wouldn't I post it, it's all true and none of it anything to be ashamed of. Just because someone fits certain markers or demographics doesn't make them guilty of anything however. It's that whole correlation/causation split.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

Mainly because I know more than a few people who realize that sometimes the only way to solve a problem is violence. I'm strictly opposed to it unless it's a last resort, but history and human nature show that when government of a country gets too big for it's britches then the citizenry can only do one thing. This is currently happening around the globe and has happened for every country on this planet throughout human history.

Power attracts those who want to rule. Those who want to rule don't always want to do so out of benevolence. Those who want to rule without benevolence have to insert themselves originally carefully, and then bring on others that are of like mind to help them secure their position. Eventually they take over the system. It's like an infestation. Sometimes the only way to cure cancer is to cut it out.

I am not saying we are there yet with our country. Many I know believe we are. That those in power now and coming in the future, no longer are there for the best interests of the average citizen of this country. They see the 500+ politicians in DC as a cancer now that needs to be cut. They are looking for Sodom and Grimora.

Again I do not see this as the answer. Maybe I'm overly optimistic. I see there being hope that those that really can bring this country back on track are capable of reaching positions and places to effect proper changes.

Last edited:

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

"After Harris’s death, the coroner discovered that his bloodstream contained the antidepressant Luvox, and some speculated that his psychiatric medication—along with bullying and many other factors—could have contributed to the violence. Luvox manufacturer, Solvay, reported that in a ten-week trial four percent of youth being treated with Luvox experienced “manic reactions,” compared with no such reactions in a control group treated with a placebo. Antidepressants, other psychotropic drugs, and alcohol are, for some people, disinhibitors to violence, meaning that they make it easier for violent thoughts to become violent actions. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now has an “black box” warning—the agency’s most serious caution—about the increased risk of contemplating suicide in children, adolescents, and young adults taking antidepressants."

So here we have direct evidence of a psychotropic drug adversely affecting the actions of certain groups of people in such a way as to promote incidences such as Newtown, and yet all anyone can talk about is "gun control" which has dubious benefits at reducing crime at best; even Joe Biden recognized and publicly stated that his gun control proposal would not have necessarily prevented Newtown. The prescription of antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and ADHD inhibiting drugs has increased astronomically in the last 20 years. Apparently the number of mass shootings is on the rise as well (debatable, depends on how you define it). At the same time, gun control legislation has receded, overall crime rates have dropped dramatically, and yet it is the guns that are to blame for Newtown, Columbine, VT, and Aurora?

How about looking at the overall scope of the problem?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
"After Harris’s death, the coroner discovered that his bloodstream contained the antidepressant Luvox, and some speculated that his psychiatric medication—along with bullying and many other factors—could have contributed to the violence. Luvox manufacturer, Solvay, reported that in a ten-week trial four percent of youth being treated with Luvox experienced “manic reactions,” compared with no such reactions in a control group treated with a placebo. Antidepressants, other psychotropic drugs, and alcohol are, for some people, disinhibitors to violence, meaning that they make it easier for violent thoughts to become violent actions. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now has an “black box” warning—the agency’s most serious caution—about the increased risk of contemplating suicide in children, adolescents, and young adults taking antidepressants."

So here we have direct evidence of a psychotropic drug adversely affecting the actions of certain groups of people in such a way as to promote incidences such as Newtown, and yet all anyone can talk about is "gun control" which has dubious benefits at reducing crime at best; even Joe Biden recognized and publicly stated that his gun control proposal would not have necessarily prevented Newtown. The prescription of antidepressants, anti-anxiety, and ADHD inhibiting drugs has increased astronomically in the last 20 years. Apparently the number of mass shootings is on the rise as well (debatable, depends on how you define it). At the same time, gun control legislation has receded, overall crime rates have dropped dramatically, and yet it is the guns that are to blame for Newtown, Columbine, VT, and Aurora?

How about looking at the overall scope of the problem?

Big Pharma Lobby > NRA Lobby. That is how lawmaking works in this country now.

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
EXCLUSIVE: Newtown shooter Adam Lanza taunted and beaten by fellow students when he attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, relative reveals

Lanza’s mother considered suing the school after teachers turned a blind eye to physical and verbal attacks from his classmates, a family member claims.

By Matthew Lysiak AND Larry Mcshane / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 7:17 PM | Updated: Sunday, April 14, 2013, 2:00 AM

image-1-1310263.jpg

Childhood pictures of Adam Lanza dressed up for Halloween.

lanza.jpg

This picture of Adam Lanza dressed as the Grim Reaper was taken when he was four years old while a kindergartner in Kingston, NH.

Newtown killer Adam Lanza’s mother considered suing Sandy Hook Elementary School after teachers turned a blind eye to beatings from his classmates, a family member claims.

The relative, speaking to the Daily News, claimed that mass murderer Lanza was taunted and attacked by fellow students at his childhood alma mater.

“Nancy felt fiercely protective of him,” the relative said. “She was convinced the school wasn’t doing enough to protect Adam. It made her irate.”

Nancy Lanza — gunned down by her 20-year-son to start his Dec. 14 rampage — even tagged along with Adam to school in an effort to catch his classmates in the act of assaulting him.

“Adam would come home with bruises all over his body,” the relative said. “His mom would ask him what was wrong, and he wouldn’t say anything. He would just sit there.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-lanza-mom-mulled-lawsuit-article-1.1315985
The relative said Adam Lanza never seemed emotionally right after his time in Sandy Hook. Nancy Lanza switched him to another school after sixth grade.

“He was a sick boy,” the relative told The News.

p.s.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-lanza-mom-mulled-lawsuit-article-1.1315985

There are 2 Videos at the above source: Footages show Adam Lanza (and his mother - in the 1st Video) when he was a kindergartener.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Why wouldn't I post it, it's all true and none of it anything to be ashamed of. Just because someone fits certain markers or demographics doesn't make them guilty of anything however. It's that whole correlation/causation split.
yeah you're right, that's why there's nothing that can be done about the psychos who are actually dangerous.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If he shot innocent little children as an act of revenge, then he truly was a retard unless those children were the sons and daughters of his former tormenters. If you want to get revenge, go shoot the individual people that bullied you or find a way to disappear them Dexter style.

You're thinking logically, which clearly is not necessarily the same as the mentally ill. The man was crazy and found himself an easy target.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
And if you wanna make an argument that inanimate objects kill people, you could probably say a lot more about drugs than guns.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
EXCLUSIVE: Newtown shooter Adam Lanza taunted and beaten by fellow students when he attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, relative reveals

Lanza’s mother considered suing the school after teachers turned a blind eye to physical and verbal attacks from his classmates, a family member claims.

By Matthew Lysiak AND Larry Mcshane / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 7:17 PM | Updated: Sunday, April 14, 2013, 2:00 AM

image-1-1310263.jpg

Childhood pictures of Adam Lanza dressed up for Halloween.

lanza.jpg

This picture of Adam Lanza dressed as the Grim Reaper was taken when he was four years old while a kindergartner in Kingston, NH.

Newtown killer Adam Lanza’s mother considered suing Sandy Hook Elementary School after teachers turned a blind eye to beatings from his classmates, a family member claims.

The relative, speaking to the Daily News, claimed that mass murderer Lanza was taunted and attacked by fellow students at his childhood alma mater.

“Nancy felt fiercely protective of him,” the relative said. “She was convinced the school wasn’t doing enough to protect Adam. It made her irate.”

Nancy Lanza — gunned down by her 20-year-son to start his Dec. 14 rampage — even tagged along with Adam to school in an effort to catch his classmates in the act of assaulting him.

“Adam would come home with bruises all over his body,” the relative said. “His mom would ask him what was wrong, and he wouldn’t say anything. He would just sit there.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-lanza-mom-mulled-lawsuit-article-1.1315985

p.s.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-lanza-mom-mulled-lawsuit-article-1.1315985

There are 2 Videos at the above source: Footages show Adam Lanza (and his mother - in the 1st Video) when he was a kindergartener.

I wonder if this is the same relative that also told everyone that Lanza's mom worked at the school, which was a lie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbfVQ_J5qc

I also wonder if this relative even knew that Lanza's death certificate shows he was dead the day before the shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9blqZuQosx4

I finally have to wonder if this relative knew that Lanza's father was prepared to testify against the big banks in the LIBOR scandal trial, much like a Mr. Robert Holmes did. If that name sounds familiar, he is the father of alleged mass shooter James Holmes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deUZMMQIqnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dN0g6k_QE4

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
I finally have to wonder if this relative knew that Lanza's father was prepared to testify against the big banks in the LIBOR scandal trial, much like a Mr. Robert Holmes did. If that name sounds familiar, he is the father of alleged mass shooter James Holmes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deUZMMQIqnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dN0g6k_QE4

Do you believe everything you read on the internet? This nonsense about Libor was fabricated by Sorcha Faal, a conspiracy theorist troll so insane and so often completely wrong that even other conspiracy theorists ignore her/him.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Adam Lanza reminds me a lot of Kip Kinkel.

Kip Kinkel basically became obsessed with guns. Started small. Got bigger. his parents enabled him the entire way until he killed them, then shot up a school.

I seriously wonder how much was Nancy Lanza's gun collection from her own interest and how much was driven by her son's obsession. One interesting thing is that absent her collection, the background check/waiting period would have hindered Adam Lanza. Also, why would he try to buy a gun if they already had the big collection at home? The gun he wanted to buy sounded like a simple hunting rifle.