Active Directory

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ncage, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ncage

ncage Golden Member

I've already setup my AD Server (Server 2012). Have yet to connect anything to it though. My only concerns are those devices i have on my network that stream files off the file server. For example i have those little WD Live TVs that i use to stream media files of my network. Of course the WD Live TV is not going to be able to join a domain show how would i go about accessing my files after i join the computer to the domain? I stream a variety of video formats mpeg2, mp4, avi, wmv, mkv , ect... . I also stream other files like music.

2. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

AD generally doesn't affect those devices. You should be able to use the same links and passwords. You may see some issues with passwords since the username will be domain\user and you need to alter it to localhost\user or device\user in some cases.

I will say I have 2012 in my home domain now and I have noticed it was a bit more picky connecting to it but I haven't seen an issue connecting outside.

3. xSauronx

xSauronx Lifer

if you can login to the wd live and have to connect it to a share, im going to assume it has options for usernames and passwords

fso if you need to use domain credentials instead of using:

username: user
    password: password

you could try

username: domain\user
    password: password

this typically works for me when using other 3rd party devices like NAS units to connect to LDAP/AD for user verification.

4. ncage

ncage Golden Member

Thanks guys for the reply. Conceptually it looks like you guys are correct it should just work. Unfortunately, due to a well discussed bug in my WD Live TV (which i doubt will ever get fixed), it doesn't pass the credentials correctly to the domain so it doesn't work. Now what i did for a work around was to used windows Media players streaming/dlna so instead of accessing the file through a share i just used DLNA. As most of you are aware of though, the codec support for WMP is limited. I was able to stream an mp4 but of course i can't stream a MKV file. Is there a really light weight DLNA server that i can run a windows pc so at least i can server videos to my wd live tv through DLNA? I'd prefer something that doesn't use java. On the fly transcoding support might be might through i don't need it right now because the WD Live TV can play just about anything i've thrown at them.

thanks...

5. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

Tversity, plex, ps3 media server to name a few.

6. dpodblood

dpodblood Diamond Member

PS3 media server is the one I'd recommend. Obviously "PS3" is just a name. It will work with any UPNP device.

7. dawks

dawks Diamond Member

I actually ended up using TVersity to stream to my WDTV since I couldnt get Windows Media Sharing DLNA working. You can set TVersity to re-encode and stream, or just stream the raw files (much better option) since the WDTV can handle just about any format. The re-encoding is good for things like the Xbox. Not sure if it re-encodes for Apple TV. That would be nice.