Activating the free upgrade Windows 10 after a major hardware change (Resolved)

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Admittedly, I did not know much about the Windows 10 activation process before switching out the CPU/Motherboard in my system. I switched out the hardware and still want to use the existing OS install that's on my SSD. I do not want to do a fresh install since reinstalling everything would literally take weeks.

I did the hardware install yesterday. Everything went smooth. Booted up Windows 10 off of the SSD and it showed that my free upgrade Windows 10 was not activated. I thought it would be as easy as it was with 7 and 8 to just reactivate it. Not a chance there. Since the free upgrade that I used to go from Windows 8.1 to 10 did not include a key there was no way of entering one. I then tried the digital key off of my Microsoft account. It would not activate there either. It would say "Could not activate Windows, please try again". Well, trying again never works.

After exhausting all possible avenues from my end I decided to contact Microsoft support. I explained the situation and they said that I had to downgrade to Windows 10 version 1607, activate Windows with my retail Windows 8.1 key, and then go through Windows update to get back to the latest version. It was late and I did not go through these steps yet.

Has anyone done this? Is there an easier way? I'll give the Microsoft support advice a go tonight if there are no other options.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I always make an Image of the HD/SSD before Major Upgrade. (like from 1607 to 1607) its takes 10 Minute with an App like TrueImage.

What you can try is keeping the None Activated 1703, and installing on another HD/SSD just basic 1607 (about 40 Min work). Activate the 1607.

Then, insert the 1703. Since there should be already an Activated 1607 for the New Hardware it might activate the new 1703 and save the additional work of redoing you private installation.

YMMV, Good Luck.

:cool:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't thought of that one.

I do keep my data backed up at a good interval. I do not keep older backups for long periods of time. I don't have a backup from 1607. Only backups more recent than that.

What I did try was booting the system back up with the older motherboard and CPU. Windows was activated. I then logged into my Microsoft account so that it would add the PC to the known list of devices with Windows 10 installed. After that I put the new motherboard / CPU in and tried to activate using the digital key. It didn't work. It kept saying that it could not authentic this device with no real reason as to why.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If the original license was retail, then all should be smooth, but, I guess you had some OEM license?
That may/may not work on hardware changes. I know where they have told people they need to buy a new license for new hardware.

Are you using the same e-mail address that was tied to the other motherboard?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I got it all taken care of now. I contacted Microsoft support again. This time they gave me a free Windows 10 Pro key after I showed them the invoice for the motherboard and CPU. Having the retail Windows 8.1 Pro key also helped in getting it.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I just went through this early this morning after swapping the motherboard out on a pc. The activation troubleshooter didn't work right even though the license was attached to the microsoft account so I had to go through support via the chat option. I had to grant them access to the pc allowing them to use their tools which did a hardware survey and as they could see only the motherboard changed.

They used the windows 7 key from the old board to verify the license and then issued a new 10 home key for the new board which they installed remotely plus gave me a copy of for future reference such as if I do a clean install which I plan to do soon. The tech was very nice and helpful throughout the process and I gave him 5 stars for his work. He even phoned in middle to talk while he was working on the machine as I couldn't see the chat window.