Question Actiontec GT784WNV - no power

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
My Actiontec GT784WNV modem/router was working fine, I had it located on a small table next to my computer.

But today, I built a small shelf so that I could place my Actiontec GT784WNV modem/router on the WALL.

I did this because the telephone/DSL wire from the phone jack is not long enough to allow me to reach the router without it being strung across and blocking my kitchen door opening and thus I have to unplug it from the router every time when not using it, so I do not run into the cord by accident.

I placed the little plastic stand plate that came with the router onto it and then I fastened to router to the shelf I had built by screwing the stand plate to the shelf.

I then fastened the shelf with the router attached to it, to the wall near (OVER) my computer desk.

Hooked up all the wires (including the AC adapter cable and ethernet cable to port 1 - not using wireless), and behold when I flip the power button on the back of the router nothing happens. No lights of any flavor. Yes, the power adapter was in a hot/good AC outlet.

Unhooked and replugged all of the cables (including the power cable) several times and still router would not power on.

Took the shelf and attached router back off of the wall, unattached the router from the shelf I had it attached to, took the stand plate off of the router.

Then hooked all the wires back to the router with the stand plate off of it and with the router setting on a small table next to my computer (no longer mounted on the wall) and behold now the router powers up just fine.

Any ideas as to why the router would not power up when mount to shelf and placed on the wall ???

Thanks.

Last edited:

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Thanks but I really don't think so. AC power adapter cord was in the same condition as before mounting on shelf, i.e. the cord was unbundled and not
in any wrapped up position.