Acting secretary of the Navy has submitted his resignation after calling ousted aircraft carrier captain 'stupid'

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
As well he should......but first an escalation...Navy Sectretary flies to Guam to belittles the crew...

Thomas Modly, President Trump's acting Navy secretary, told sailors on the USS Theodore Roosevelt that their fired captain was 'naive' and 'stupid' for the missive he wrote complaining about the lack of help for the coronavirus-infested ship and then complained about the flak he was receiving for relieving Captain Brett Crozier of his duties.

Modly flew to Guam, where the ship is docked as 5,000 crew members get tested after a coronavirus outbreak on the aircraft carrier, to address the sailors, who cheered Crozier as he left the ship after Modly relieved him of his command.

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly has submitted his resignation a day after leaked audio revealed he called the ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew, according to a US official and a former senior military official.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burpo

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
How can there be such a divide over COVID19?
My friend, may I suggest there is NOT a divide at all over COVID19!
There is a divide between TRUMP and those who disagree with what he says!
Might I point out as much as I dislike Trump, this coronavirus thing was his ticket to 4 more years!
All hr had to do was man up and let the professional doctors do what they do best and support the medical finding and he was in like Flynn!
Instead this could be his downfall....fort of likre Himpty Dumpty!!

Reactions: ShookKnight

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I laugh (with sorrow) at how inept Trump and his pack of sycophant hyenas have been in their attempts at first playing down the disaster and then the disastrous incompetent response of theirs to the pandemic all while making things even worse for themselves by trying to clumsily cover up their mishandling and inaction over their response management of it all.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
All things Trump touches die.
By Rick Wilson

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I find it very funny that this moron flew 36 hours round trip to Guam just to get himself fired because he was trying to do performance theater for Trump.

I figure Trump sent him on a mission. Quite why is a mystery. Putin's bet on a Trump Presidency is paying off better than Ackman's derivative bets in the Market.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
This "Acting Secretary of the Navy" should have been fired and not given the opportunity to resign. What a turd.

That being said I do not think the CO made the smartest move on the planet by CCing the letter to so many that had no need to know. I do not think he should have been relieved of command and he should be reinstated as CO.

Maybe I missed it, but where did Trump direct any of this?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This "Acting Secretary of the Navy" should have been fired and not given the opportunity to resign. What a turd.

That being said I do not think the CO made the smartest move on the planet by CCing the letter to so many that had no need to know. I do not think he should have been relieved of command and he should be reinstated as CO.

I disagree, but not in the way you think. I think the captain did this knowing full well he would be fired and I think the navy was right to fire him. You can’t have commanders going around the chain of command to the media and the captain surely knew when he wrote that letter that’s what was going to happen.

What I feel very confident of is what happened is he tried to resolve it through the normal chain of command and when they didn’t listen he went public. The right answer was for the Navy to never let it get to that point but I think in the end the captain will get what he wanted which is his crew taken care of.

So while I think the Navy had to fire him their failure was to not support him to begin with. The captain himself, while rightly fired to maintain discipline, should be hailed as a hero for putting his sailors before his career. He’s what every officer should aspire to.

He didn’t, but the buck stops with him. His appointee, his responsibility.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Trump appointed the bozo. Trump, as the only elected official involved in that choice, is responsible for the conduct of the people he appoints.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The micromanager in chief? Surely you jest. When it all went south Modly had to sacrifice himself to cover for Trump.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

hahahah ..just because he is working behind the scenes doesn`t mean he is NOT involved!!

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Glad he's gone, after saying " Captain Brett Crozier is naive or stupid " he tried to claim
""Let me be clear, I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naive nor stupid " in his resignation letter two days later. So many "acting" people in the waste land of this administration, the toxic aroma just drives them off.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
From the transcript of Modly's remarks:

most importantly, love the people you are ordered to lead. Make sure they eat before you do, care about their families as much as your own, be invested in their success far more than your own accomplishments. Nurture their careers more than you pursue your own advancement and value their lives to the point that you will always consider their safety in every single decision you make

Bolded for irony

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I disagree, but not in the way you think. I think the captain did this knowing full well he would be fired and I think the navy was right to fire him. You can’t have commanders going around the chain of command to the media and the captain surely knew when he wrote that letter that’s what was going to happen.

What I feel very confident of is what happened is he tried to resolve it through the normal chain of command and when they didn’t listen he went public. The right answer was for the Navy to never let it get to that point but I think in the end the captain will get what he wanted which is his crew taken care of.

So while I think the Navy had to fire him their failure was to not support him to begin with. The captain himself, while rightly fired to maintain discipline, should be hailed as a hero for putting his sailors before his career. He’s what every officer should aspire to.

He didn’t, but the buck stops with him. His appointee, his responsibility.

I do agree with everything you said about the Captain. I do however think there are better ways to punish without him losing his command. He was very foolish to have CCed the letter knowing full well it would get out. It is obvious that his crew has a ton of respect for him.

I'm on the fence about if the Navy wasn't supporting him or he was impatient. Then again I am unfamiliar with how the surface fleet functions on that level.

I have more respect for the Secretary of Defense after he insisted that Modly publicly apologize to the crew and the Captain.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

It has nothing to do with what he said, it was the way it was done, publicly in a leaked memo that should have remained within the chain of command.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I do agree with everything you said about the Captain. I do however think there are better ways to punish without him loosing his command. He was very foolish to have CCed the letter knowing full well it would get out. It is obvious that his crew has a ton of respect for him.

I'm on the fence about if the Navy wasn't supporting him or he was impatient. Then again I am unfamiliar with how the surface fleet functions on that level.

I have more respect for the Secretary of Defense after he insisted that Modly publicly apologize to the crew and the Captain.
You do undestand why that happenned? Because they are doing their best to keep Trump from sticking his nose into things!!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You do undestand why that happenned? Because they are doing their best to keep Trump from sticking his nose into things!!

And rightly so Trump should stay out of it and allow the Navy and Sec Defense handle it as they should.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I do agree with everything you said about the Captain. I do however think there are better ways to punish without him losing his command. He was very foolish to have CCed the letter knowing full well it would get out. It is obvious that his crew has a ton of respect for him.

Please provide the list of people who were recipients of the original email.