Acoustic Guitar Question

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
So I came into possession of an old acoustic guitar last night and went out to get new bridge pins and strings for it today, but I figured I'd try to string it myself since it's one of those skills in life that I feel would be very useful. It feels like the equivalent of an oil change: most people could do it themselves if they wanted, and it's easy as hell for the mechanic, but they'll still cost you $20-30 to get done.

I've done a classical guitar before the tied ends so I assumed this would be cake. I was wrong. How the eff does one secure bridge pins?

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Put a 45 degree bend about 1/2 inch from the end of the string before you put it into the hole.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
I think you guys misunderstood. I'm talking about the bridge pins. I can't get them to stay secure in the hole in the bridge. I'm not even to the tuning pegs.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
you put the end of the string in, push down the bridge pin, then start tuning the string, if the pin starts coming up push it back in again, rinse and repeat until in tune.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
The tension on the string should hold the peg in place. If it doesn't stay in, keep pushing it down.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The pin should be so snug that it holds the string in place when there's tension on it. If this isn't happening, there's something wrong with the pin or the hole is worn.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: aplefka
Wait so before the string is taut, the bridge pins won't stay in all the way?

It should be snug when the string is tightened. There shouldn't be any movement or "trying to make it stay" problems.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX

It should be snug when the string is tightened. There shouldn't be any movement or "trying to make it stay" problems.

I'm asking about before the string is tightened. Obviously it'd have to be stationary when the string is tightened otherwise the string would just come out of the bridge. :)

I just don't get wtf I'm doing wrong that my bridge pins are making me feel like a noob. :( Guess I'll have to go back to the music store and have them do it for me.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004

I'm asking about before the string is tightened. Obviously it'd have to be stationary when the string is tightened otherwise the string would just come out of the bridge. :)

I just don't get wtf I'm doing wrong that my bridge pins are making me feel like a noob. :( Guess I'll have to go back to the music store and have them do it for me.

When you're tightening the string, make sure you're pushing down (pretty hard) on the pins. By the time it's fully tightened and tuned right, should be fine.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

When you're tightening the string, make sure you're pushing down (pretty hard) on the pins. By the time it's fully tightened and tuned right, should be fine.

Ohhh, so you still have to push on it while tightening? :eek:

Thank you sir.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

Ohhh, so you still have to push on it while tightening? :eek:

Thank you sir.

:D sometimes I forget that not everyone is a musician.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Hmm, well I didn't have to push on it at all and things worked out.

:roll:

Canai, kiss my ass. I play bass, not guitar. The only guitars I've ever strung have been the tie-end classical ones. Until you post vids of shreddage don't pull the high and mighty crap just because I asked a question.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Hmm, well I didn't have to push on it at all and things worked out.

:roll:

Canai, kiss my ass. I play bass, not guitar. The only guitars I've ever strung have been the tie-end classical ones. Until you post vids of shreddage don't pull the high and mighty crap just because I asked a question.

Uh, settle down there. I was saying that, since I've done it since I was little, I took for granted that you were just trying to tighten the string, not holding the other end. I've strung a lot of instruments. I'm a bassist too, but for some reason I've found myself changing guitar strings in the middle of a jam because one of the guitarists is too drunk to do it.

Ever try to restring an upright bass? It's fun.

edit: music is like computers. If you know a lot, it's easy to sound like an ass unintentionally :)