Acoustic Guitar Pickups

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
I'm looking to get a pickup for my acoustic guitar. I dont' want the permanent solution, but something like an in-hole one. Any recommendations or experiences?

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
The DiMarzio quickmount pickups I've used seem to be pretty good. They slide pretty easy into the hole, and are adjustable to size. (that didn't sound right...)

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
In-hole one? You mean a little microphone that you stick inside your guitar? No experience with those, but I think it'd sound pretty muddy. Just take your guitar to a guitar shop and have them drill a hole and install a pickup. If you get an active pickup, get the kind with a cartridge you pull out of the side to replace the battery. Having to loosen all your strings to get your hand in the hole to replace the battery SUCKS.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
I had a Fender Lace acoustic guitar pickup that worked better than any of the other ones that I tried (Deam Markley, etc.) It was kind of expensive though ~60-70 IIRC about 8 years ago. I'm not sure if they still even make it anymore, I tried doing a Google search and couldn't find much info on it.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper0329
Were the Deam Markley's any good?

I misspelled it, it's Dean Markley, and they were ok. They are pretty popular as a standard acoustic guitar pickup. For a regular 6 string guitar I think that it'll serve it's purpose. You should be able to find one in your local shop that you can test out.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
I just bought a Shadow 330. For $35, I figure that if it's crap I can put it back on ebay.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper0329
I was looking for something like this link.

That seems really inconvenient with that cable hanging out like that. I'd really suggest just having a real pickup installed in your guitar.