ACORN founder wants blacks to support immigration...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Illegal labor has been nothing but a significant economic plus to Treasury and state coffers to say nothing of the fact that Americans simply won't do the jobs "illegals" do.
LOL! Typical lib, completely blind to reality.

Yes, jobs Americans simply won't do- like construction, agriculture, childcare, janitorial, delivery, automotive services, plumbing, electrical, packaging, grocery, landscaping, etc. etc.

You know, all things that Americans won't do... for peanuts.

It's funny how you idiot libs will latch onto something stupid and run with it until you've burned down everything around you, so long as you think your beloved government is profiting from it somehow. Like just because someone walks across a border illegally they immediate go "I'll only do jobs everyone else is unwilling to do!" And you've bought hook line and sinker that all the jobs being gutted by illegal labor were never done by an American citizen- something which only the dumbest of the dumb actually believe.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
lol your posts are awful. Wages aren't reduced for anyone with skills worth a damn, and the more pressure you put on low-wage earners to develop skills, the more they actually add them. It's self-reinforcing common sense.

Go tell that to black or white workers in the construction industry, etc who have had to contend with illegal construction workers driving down wages on jobs.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009

Yes, jobs Americans simply won't do- like construction, agriculture, childcare, janitorial, delivery, automotive services, plumbing, electrical, packaging, grocery, landscaping, etc. etc.

It's funny how you idiot libs will latch onto something stupid and run with it until you've burned down everything around you, so long as you think your beloved government is profiting from it somehow. Like just because someone walks across a border illegally they immediate go "I'll only do jobs everyone else is unwilling to do!" And you've bought hook line and sinker that all the jobs being gutted by illegal labor were never done by an American citizen- something which only the dumbest of the dumb actually believe.

Straw man argument.

And one would have to be completely ignorant of the changes at the global and national economic level over the last 30 years to believe illegal immigration is the only market force putting downward pressure on wages.

Nope, instead people trot out the same old tired argument about "immigrants stealing jobs" etc.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Straw man argument.

And one would have to be completely ignorant of the changes at the global and national economic level over the last 30 years to believe illegal immigration is the only market force putting downward pressure on wages.

Nope, instead people trot out the same old tired argument about "immigrants stealing jobs" etc.

Yes, I'm sure that outsourcing has been a major factor in driving down wages in industries like construction. All of our roofing jobs were being shipped to India...

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Most of the low-end versions of those jobs Americans don't want. That's a fact you'll have to come to terms with on your own time.

Those jobs generally pay peanuts regardless of immigrants, because they're low-skilled jobs. So um no, Americans won't do them.

You're not intelligent. FYI.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
About the only jobs Americans won't do is harvesting crops. Migrant workers have been doing that for a long time so we have no experienced US workforce. (BTW: If you know what you're doing you can make some decent money because farmers don't pay by the hour, they pay by the crate.) Now, we could have US people harvesting crops. European students do it over there, but over here we have regulations preventing high school students etc from doing it. I tried to get my 16/17 yr old a job harvesting. But all the farmers I knew said it was against the law.

Anybody who believes illegals don't take jobs away from Americans is a fool or a liar. All those jobs Zaap mentioned are areas where this occurs.

Fern

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
lol your posts are awful. Wages aren't reduced for anyone with skills worth a damn, and the more pressure you put on low-wage earners to develop skills, the more they actually add them. It's self-reinforcing common sense.

You're joking right? Why do you think STEM degrees pay more than degrees such as marketing or "business" right out of college? STEM degrees are in much higher demand and there are simply not as many graduating students with those degrees. Both degrees definitely involve skills. It is simple supply/demand... The job market is a real thing, the more people you have with a certain skill, the lower you will have to pay them as someone will be willing to take a lower salary. The solution isn't to just "add more skills" - which in this case would be go to school longer (ya! more debt!).

Also, if immigrants are only willing to do the jobs that Americans are unwilling, how does that fit in with the whole fast food worker strike. I guess all of those people on minimum wage are all immigrants as no American would be willing to work for minimum wage.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
“We got some Latino cousins, we got some Asian cousins, we got some Native-American cousins, we got all kind of cousins,” said Lewis, who spoke Thursday at the annual political conference of the Congressional Black Caucus.

“Cousins need to get together because if we’re going to be [part of the non-white] majority, it makes sense for black people in this country to get down with immigration reform,” said Lewis, whose ACORN group was formally disbanded in 2010 after a series of scandals.

LOL, there's no way she can honestly believe this is going to work out like she's saying it will, unless she's a sheltered academic; I didn't get the impression she was reading the scant bio info on her scattered around online. Don't know what her (or whoever is pulling her strings) real angle is but it's not "increasing black power".

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Most of the low-end versions of those jobs Americans don't want. That's a fact you'll have to come to terms with on your own time.

American's won't work for bowls of rice? Must be lazy I guess, need to import more de-facto slave labor.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
You're joking right? Why do you think STEM degrees pay more than degrees such as marketing or "business" right out of college? STEM degrees are in much higher demand and there are simply not as many graduating students with those degrees. Both degrees definitely involve skills. It is simple supply/demand... The job market is a real thing, the more people you have with a certain skill, the lower you will have to pay them as someone will be willing to take a lower salary. The solution isn't to just "add more skills" - which in this case would be go to school longer (ya! more debt!).

Your post makes no sense; it assumes people get an education and simply look for a job. Reality is far different, as many graduates create jobs by starting businesses. I've hired a couple contractors in the small business I started. That's because there's frequently demand in the economy if you know where to look if you're skilled enough to take risks and create the revenue yourself. If you're not a risk taker, if you're not well educated, if you'd like to do a mindless repetitive job for hours on end, then in this day and age you're going to get lower pay. In 1945? Maybe not.

Also, STEM jobs paying higher than marketing is a given, why you would even mention that is confusing since marketing hasn't been a hot major in at least a decade. Two, while business majors make less than STEM starting out, they also pay plenty fine and do very well over the long term. The fact that there may be an "oversupply" is a misnomer in of itself considering, like I said, business majors generally don't sit on their ass waiting to be given a job; they can create them too.

Also, if immigrants are only willing to do the jobs that Americans are unwilling, how does that fit in with the whole fast food worker strike. I guess all of those people on minimum wage are all immigrants as no American would be willing to work for minimum wage.

Minimum wage =/ immigrant labor. Many undocumented workers get less than minimum wage, though how many I don't know since those stats aren't likely accurately kept.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Also, I've heard good arguments for day laborers lowering wages in construction. That I believe, and I've seen it first hand here in CA. Thing is, construction is a fraction of the total amount of jobs in the economy, and just a fraction of those construction workers are actually undocumented. So even if we assume they have a horrible impact on construction, the xenophobic rants against immigrant labor continue to look, um, xenophobic. So what if they lower your wages kids; develop more skills and create a job or two for someone else. It's really not hard once you take the leap, and I'd argue the only thing stopping you is fear of the unknown which, granted, can be palpable.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
bring more people in to compete for few jobs. sounds like a public assistance scam.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Also, I've heard good arguments for day laborers lowering wages in construction. That I believe, and I've seen it first hand here in CA. Thing is, construction is a fraction of the total amount of jobs in the economy, and just a fraction of those construction workers are actually undocumented. So even if we assume they have a horrible impact on construction, the xenophobic rants against immigrant labor continue to look, um, xenophobic. So what if they lower your wages kids; develop more skills and create a job or two for someone else. It's really not hard once you take the leap, and I'd argue the only thing stopping you is fear of the unknown which, granted, can be palpable.

So you're suddenly feeling all bootstrappy, huh?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I almost feel sorry for black Leadership, it has got to really smart when they realize that rather than actually work to provide their demographic jobs that apparently they won't do? (which is odd, because, they were always done before the illegal invasion by US citizens of varying colors), their Dems instead turn around and work with Rep Leadership to let in an invasion amount of illegals that - shocker - do the blue collar jobs that blacks could do. To make it worse, black Leadership has who to turn to now? They're less of a relevant demographic now that the invaders have been allowed to remain for decades, and now the invaders themselves are hiring - wait for it - not blacks but "their own".

So to recap: Blacks vote in insane numbers for Dems. Dems throw scraps to black Leadership (handouts, preferential state and local jobs where they've got the pull), and now Dems sell blacks down the Rio Grande so the Dems can get that latino vote locked in. What to do now? Doh!

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Yes, I'm sure that outsourcing has been a major factor in driving down wages in industries like construction. All of our roofing jobs were being shipped to India...
Don't worry bro. The laws of supply and demand don't work in America because we're special. Flooding the market with cheap labor doesn't drop wages across the board. No sir. It only drops wages when the cheap labor is in another country, ya know?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't worry bro. The laws of supply and demand don't work in America because we're special. Flooding the market with cheap labor doesn't drop wages across the board. No sir. It only drops wages when the cheap labor is in another country, ya know?

For as crazy and lacking in logic as Republicans are, Democrats do their best to keep up...

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
So you're suddenly feeling all bootstrappy, huh?

Well not suddenly, but maybe semi-recently. I've personally come to the conclusion that earning wages isn't enough to be secure financially and I think the evidence bears it out. If I know that low-cost low-risk index funds generally yield 6% real returns annually while wages are roughly anywhere from stagnant to rising no more than 3% annually for the last 35-40 years, and that inflation is roughly 2% during that time and 2% is the Fed's inflation target going forward, I know that solely depending on wages is a sucker's bet. If I also know that most wealthy individuals make their money from business ventures, equity investments or real estate investments of some sort, and most definitely not from wages in the vast majority of cases, then my conclusion is even more straight forward; a good job isn't enough, at least if I'm attempting to be as financially secure as the opportunities out there provide.

Last edited: