ACLU sues US government over metadata surveillance program

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
This went on with letters to and from soldiers during WW2 as well. I'm not excusing it, just pointing out that it's been done for a long time.

100% correct, however there are differences.

1. Everybody knew it
2. the letters were read and the conversations were monitored, they were not recorded and passed around like a party favor.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Anyone who thinks the government is only collecting metadata is being ridiculous. The current amount of data on the internet per year (literally the size of the internet) is on the order of hundreds of exabytes (10^20 bytes). The facility the NSA is building in utah is on the order of yottabytes (10^24 bytes). You don't build a facility large enough to store years of the internet just to record who made a few phone calls.

I am curious where the DR site for that DC is. :'(

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
So the ACLU is suing the government because people freely gave corporations this data?
LMFAO.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So the ACLU is suing the government because people freely gave corporations this data?
LMFAO.

People did not however give anything freely to corporations, and corporations giving "freely" to the government? Sure, like they had had much of a choice.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
LMFAO.

Would that be like "freely" giving the post office my mail so its perfectly ok for the .gov to open and read it? How about Fed Ex? I freely give them a package to mail for me so its ok for the .gov, not the corporation, to open it?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Exactly the Government has to collect this data, because it is destroyed by the companies.

Funny how so many think they know more than all of the legal experts and judges who said this was legal and constitutional. Let us not for get Barack Obama is an expert on constitutional law.

Haha newb u are level 1:

TMW2013-06-12colorLARGE.jpg