ACLU fires back at Bush and Democrat-Controlled Congress

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Wrong Forum. If you have a problem with my edit then feel free to take it up with Derek. I did copy your original post just in case you had a problem with my edit.

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Edited re-air for some comprehension issue;

The ACLU?

Anyone trying to bring that collection of scum up in a positive view deserves to spend some quality time sucking the barrel end of a loaded shotgun. Defending America or the Constitution, ha. They are about as truthful in saying that as I am when talking about Madonna stopping by for a couple hours last night for some good shagging. Every action they take is to further their narrow minded agenda and is about as concerned for the nation as established by those writing the original documents as is any other political hack organization. A true poster child example of being part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Edited re-air for some comprehension issue;

The ACLU?

Anyone trying to bring that collection of scum up in a positive view deserves to spend some quality time sucking the barrel end of a loaded shotgun. Defending America or the Constitution, ha. They are about as truthful in saying that as I am when talking about Madonna stopping by for a couple hours last night for some good shagging. Every action they take is to further their narrow minded agenda and is about as concerned for the nation as established by those writing the original documents as is any other political hack organization. A true poster child example of being part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

Yet they would be the first to take up your case if you were so wronged.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I doubt that. Given their cherry picking ways of going over the bill of rights I very much doubt we would ever be sharing the same side in such a case.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: bamacre
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200...tTi1o7Zf6_gNLasM0E1vAI

Good, I hope they win. Our government's reaction to terrorism has destroyed much more than terrorists could ever hope to do so.

Yet another one time conservative Republican finally discovers the ACLU.

Welcome, son. We've been here on the side of freedom -- true, ideologically unbound freedom -- all along. :thumbsup:

I give money each and every year to the ACLU!

When the ACLU decides to support all our rights, I'll support the ACLU.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
I doubt that. Given their cherry picking ways of going over the bill of rights I very much doubt we would ever be sharing the same side in such a case.

The ACLU steps up when it is needed. The NRA already takes care of the gun nuts. The ACLU takes care of most everything else.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Ldir

The ACLU steps up when it is needed. The NRA already takes care of the gun nuts. The ACLU takes care of most everything else.

Except the ACLU has made a statement that essentialyl says "The Justices got it wrong, its a collective Right".

Whatever. I didnt know the ACLU was the ruling body on the Bill of Rights? How does an ACLU lawyer count to 10?

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Except the ACLU has made a statement that essentialyl says "The Justices got it wrong, its a collective Right".

Whatever. I didnt know the ACLU was the ruling body on the Bill of Rights? How does an ACLU lawyer count to 10?

Stupid diversion. How the ACLU feels about guns is moot. The NRA will take care of it. The ACLU steps up for all the other rights nobody else defends. Got it this time?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

So you think that the ACLU must adhere their constitutional philosophy to the supreme court's? What possible reason would you have for that?

You can disagree with the ACLU's opinion, but it's certainly a valid one. Not only was it the ruling precedent in the US for decades, but 4 out of the nine USSC justices agreed with it anyway. Hardly some fringe view.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Stupid diversion. How the ACLU feels about guns is moot. The NRA will take care of it. The ACLU steps up for all the other rights nobody else defends. Got it this time?

Its not a "Stupid diversion". it strikes at the very heart of what the ACLU really is. They flat out state they feel the 2nd amendment is NOT an individual right, while at the same time stating all other rights are and then accuse the Justices of being wrong?

I'm sorry, I have no need of any "Rights" organization which will pick and choose which rights to defend and which not. Its not the "Bill of Selective Rights" and its not the "Bill of Mostly Individual Rights".

The ACLU had a position that it would support the 2nd if it were ever ruled an individual right. Now that that has happened they have changed their position to stating that they think the ruling is wrong......

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The bill authorizes U.S. intelligence agencies to eavesdrop without court approval on foreign targets believed to be outside the United States.

Intel agencies, nor anyone else for that matter, are NOT required under the Constitution to obtain court orders or subpoenas to eavesdrop on foreigners outside the USA. To require it would be the very definition of stupidity, and our Founding Fathers weren't that dumb.

Depending upon the circumstances (the foreigners connection to the USA) a court order or subpoena may not be required even if the foreigner is in the USA.

Noone has yet made a good case that this affects our 4th Amendment right, and foreigners abroad simply don't have them.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
The bill authorizes U.S. intelligence agencies to eavesdrop without court approval on foreign targets believed to be outside the United States.

Intel agencies, nor anyone else for that matter, are NOT required under the Constitution to obtain court orders or subpoenas to eavesdrop on foreigners outside the USA. To require it would be the very definition of stupidity, and our Founding Fathers weren't that dumb.

Depending upon the circumstances (the foreigners connection to the USA) a court order or subpoena may not be required even if the foreigner is in the USA.

Noone has yet made a good case that this affects our 4th Amendment right, and foreigners abroad simply don't have them.

Fern

Except I'm certain you know that what you quoted has nothing to do with the parts of the bill that people find offensive. The problems come from the spying on Americans without warrants. You know, the massively illegal thing that Bush has been doing.

You aren't actually trying to support this bill are you?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Its not a "Stupid diversion". it strikes at the very heart of what the ACLU really is. They flat out state they feel the 2nd amendment is NOT an individual right, while at the same time stating all other rights are and then accuse the Justices of being wrong?

I'm sorry, I have no need of any "Rights" organization which will pick and choose which rights to defend and which not. Its not the "Bill of Selective Rights" and its not the "Bill of Mostly Individual Rights".

The ACLU had a position that it would support the 2nd if it were ever ruled an individual right. Now that that has happened they have changed their position to stating that they think the ruling is wrong......

They do, but they also state that gun control, neither possession of guns or the regulation of guns, raises a civil liberties issue.

The ACLU doesn't need to concern themselves with an amendment that's already more than adequately defended by the NRA. It's akin to asking the NRA to go and defend the other amendments because if they're going to defend one they have to defend them all.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

That must be why they file papers against Christian related items while filing briefs supporting Muslim ones.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

That must be why they file papers against Christian related items while filing briefs supporting Muslim ones.

Here, I'm going to help you out with the crayon version of civil liberties.

Civil liberties are first and foremost in place to protect citizens from the government, and minorities (of any kind) from the tyranny of the majority. Christians are a majority in this country, Muslims are a small minority. This means that it is far far more likely for Christians to be able to successfully implement policies that infringe upon civil liberties then it is for Muslims, and it is far easier for the voice of Muslims to be ignored by the majority.

This is why the ACLU tends to file suit against Christian related items and tends to defend Muslim ones. This is pretty basic. Any more questions?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

I don't see Muslims constructing star and crescent shaped moments in our public squares and on our government properties, or insisting that the code of Sharia Law be posted in our courthouses. Yet, the Christians on the other hand . . .

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Here, I'm going to help you out with the crayon version of civil liberties.

Civil liberties are first and foremost in place to protect citizens from the government, and minorities (of any kind) from the tyranny of the majority. Christians are a majority in this country, Muslims are a small minority. This means that it is far far more likely for Christians to be able to successfully implement policies that infringe upon civil liberties then it is for Muslims, and it is far easier for the voice of Muslims to be ignored by the majority.

This is why the ACLU tends to file suit against Christian related items and tends to defend Muslim ones. This is pretty basic. Any more questions?

Or is it because they hate the United States?