ack - Mandatory overtime!? wtf - MANDATORY half-hour lunches - is this legal? ***UPDATE***

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Hehe - totally. :) I'm used to venting, though. I'm practically the president of the club. :p

nik

Venting? or bitching? :p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin
You know what I find funny? All you kids with no college that think you have "skills". Running computers, troubleshooting, networks, etc, it's all pretty easy. They train 100's of tech monkey's just like you at each of the 50 tech "colleges" in your area every single day. Your "skills" are a dime a dozen. You are in the wrong profession if you ever wanna be taken seriously. Maybe if you're lucky and land a good job you will make 50k a year the rest of your life with no chance for advancement and no real salary increases.

IT is a tool that people use to do other real work. IT in an of itself is pretty useless without the demand for it in real jobs. As people get more tech litterate and experienced the job quality and number will decline.

Learn how to plumb a house, that's a real skill.

Jeesus? Who pissed in your wheaties???

Saying a competent sys admin is a no talent ass clown is like saying that Bush is a moron for making it to the presidency. Network engineers - I'm talking the guys who network corporate offices of 10,000+ people have skills that a vast majority of the population could never even begin to comprehend. This isn't stuff that you just read out of a book. You learn it by hands on experience and trial and error.

How many plumbers learn their skills out of a book? Not to damn many. How many, once again, competent sys admins/network engineers/programmers learn their skills out of a book? Not too damn many. Yes, we use books for guidance and information reference, but by no means could joe blow pick up a book and learn how to integrate entire systems together.

Skills are skills reguardless of the ability to mentally perceive what you are trying to accomplish or the ability to twist a wrench around a pipe. A skill is simply an ability that somebody else either can not, or does not want to possess.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
nik
Get back to work. I am about to call in to find out why I have to reset my router once per day.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
nik
Get back to work. I am about to call in to find out why I have to reset my router once per day.

Your router? LOL - don't bother. We don't support them. Call your router OEM.

nik

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
we're scheduled for 45 hours on the phone each week. which is okay becuase the extra hours are a big pay boost. sometimes i think about coming in on the weekend and doing some open floor OT too but i'm always busy.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Well scarew me. I need a vacation. :) Somebody come take my headset...

nik

I would, but I live in IL.... Besides, I'd tell everyone to 1) reboot, 2) unplug the fuggin router, 3) call someone who knows what the fsck a start button is.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
10 hour days and they put you to 8 hrs, did you work 4 days a week or something?

Geez I get out after a 10 hr day and it feels early, the fun of working at a startup I guess.