ack - Mandatory overtime!? wtf - MANDATORY half-hour lunches - is this legal? ***UPDATE***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xyion

Jan 20, 2001
i work a 12 hr shift on a construction site. 6am-6:30pm Monday-Sunday. They MAKE us take a 30 minute lunch (which I dont take anyway, since I'm busy as hell). I would enjoy nothing more than being forced to work 10 hours a day and have 30 minutes for lunch when i cant be bothered. It isnt quite as bad as you think it is. :)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: ATLien247
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt

For the technical knowledge that I have, I get paid sh!t. For skills enough to pump gas, I'm paid well.

Then why don't you use your "technical knowledge" to get a better job?

Then he'd have nothing to get pissed about.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

For the technical knowledge that I have, I get paid sh!t. For skills enough to pump gas, I'm paid well.

Because I don't have any certs to prove it. I got it all through experience from here.

RGN,
Quit complaining. Your neighbor was probably getting 100kpbs because the caps weren't in place back on @Home. It's now mainstream across the board.

nik

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Can't care what my neighbor gets. It all about my bandwidth babay!!!

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
i wish i could get OT

you do get OT rate correct ? 1.5x normal?

40 hrs per week @ 13.75/hr i guess thats not bad for a college internship tho

geekender

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
My company has mandatory 1/2 hour lunch on monday and a saturday rotation every couple of weeks.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: pulse8

Then he'd have nothing to get pissed about.

stfu

:) Stop whining.

Eff you.

Anyway, I'm changing to 8hr days next week or so because 10hr days are getting to me. And I made an agreement. I'll come in and work another 10hr day Thursday (one of my days off) if they'll let me take a 1hr lunch. :) w0ot. But I'm not supposed to tell anybody because that's technically against the rules. :D I guess buying a keychain from my manager who sells Volkswagen memorabilia last week wasn't such a bad investment. ;)

nik

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: mchammer187
i wish i could get OT

you do get OT rate correct ? 1.5x normal?

40 hrs per week @ 13.75/hr i guess thats not bad for a college internship tho

You make considerably more than I do.

nik

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Anyway, I'm changing to 8hr days next week or so because 10hr days are getting to me. And I made an agreement. I'll come in and work another 10hr day Thursday (one of my days off) if they'll let me take a 1hr lunch. w0ot. But I'm not supposed to tell anybody because that's technically against the rules. I guess buying a keychain from my manager who sells Volkswagen memorabilia last week wasn't such a bad investment.
So then why are you whining in this thread if your being "overworked" has been resolved?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Just wondering if you've contacted your state labour department......... they must have some liturature on what is acceptable for your situation. Good luck.

Cheers,
Aquaman

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Anyway, I'm changing to 8hr days next week or so because 10hr days are getting to me. And I made an agreement. I'll come in and work another 10hr day Thursday (one of my days off) if they'll let me take a 1hr lunch. w0ot. But I'm not supposed to tell anybody because that's technically against the rules. I guess buying a keychain from my manager who sells Volkswagen memorabilia last week wasn't such a bad investment.
So then why are you whining in this thread if your being "overworked" has been resolved?

Because I just made the deal, asshole. Get the hell off my back! :| :| :|

nik

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman
Just wondering if you've contacted your state labour department......... they must have some liturature on what is acceptable for your situation. Good luck.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Don't you read? Viper GTS has been in the same situation and he looked it up. There's nothing I can do.
rolleye.gif

nik

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

Because I just made the deal, asshole. Get the hell off my back!

nik

i just think he likes riding your ass, nik. ;)

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
You know what I find funny? All you kids with no college that think you have "skills". Running computers, troubleshooting, networks, etc, it's all pretty easy. They train 100's of tech monkey's just like you at each of the 50 tech "colleges" in your area every single day. Your "skills" are a dime a dozen. You are in the wrong profession if you ever wanna be taken seriously. Maybe if you're lucky and land a good job you will make 50k a year the rest of your life with no chance for advancement and no real salary increases.

IT is a tool that people use to do other real work. IT in an of itself is pretty useless without the demand for it in real jobs. As people get more tech litterate and experienced the job quality and number will decline.

Learn how to plumb a house, that's a real skill.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

nik

Whoa there, 'roid boy. I'm not the lazy ass complaining about working some extra hours.
rolleye.gif

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman
Yes they do, the labor laws in Oregon state they can make you work as long as they want, as long as they give you your breaks and pay you time and a half for ever hour over 40. There isnt even any restriction on how far ahaid of time they have to notify you, which means technically 5 min. before you leave they could tell you that you have to stay for another 2 hours...

-Spy

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin
You know what I find funny? All you kids with no college that think you have "skills". Running computers, troubleshooting, networks, etc, it's all pretty easy. They train 100's of tech monkey's just like you at each of the 50 tech "colleges" in your area every single day. Your "skills" are a dime a dozen. You are in the wrong profession if you ever wanna be taken seriously. Maybe if you're lucky and land a good job you will make 50k a year the rest of your life with no chance for advancement and no real salary increases.

IT is a tool that people use to do other real work. IT in an of itself is pretty useless without the demand for it in real jobs. As people get more tech litterate and experienced the job quality and number will decline.

Fsck. You.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin

Wow, I hope you are not talking about all tech jobs.

Try being a CIO (or CSO) for a day and you'll find there is much more to it than that.

Then again you would be on the side of the people who create the products and not the tech monkys that support it if you were a CIO...

-Spy

LordThing

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001

nik

Whoa, Dude! You may want to open your legs up a bit and let some of that sand drain from your Vagina. It sounds a bit itchy. :p