ack - Mandatory overtime!? wtf - MANDATORY half-hour lunches - is this legal? ***UPDATE***

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
the company needs more hours. They're MAKING us work our full shifts, PLUS hours. They're going to FORCE us to work overtime or fire us. They're also making us take 30 minute lunches instead of full hour.

I'm work a fscking 10-hr day and I get all of 30 minutes for lunch and have to work more hours than that!? Goddamn... pig fsckers...

(update)

Anyway, I'm changing to 8hr days next week or so because 10hr days are getting to me. And I made an agreement. I'll come in and work another 10hr day Thursday (one of my days off) if they'll let me take a 1hr lunch. w0ot. But I'm not supposed to tell anybody because that's technically against the rules. I guess buying a keychain from my manager who sells Volkswagen memorabilia last week wasn't such a bad investment.

nik

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
be thankful you have the opportunity for overtime. My postition title specifically states overtime is NOT paid.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
If you are on salary you have to work it, hopefully they are paying you the big bucks...

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Oh yeah... it's not like there are calls pouring into the call center, either. As of today, the call volume has dropped dramatically. The past two weeks, we've been hammered with calls. But today, we actually have time to sit and wait for calls. So it's not like customers aren't getting handled.

:|

This place.... ARG!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: DaiShan
If you are on salary you have to work it, hopefully they are paying you the big bucks...

haha - yeah, right. It's paid (if that's what you consider "big bucks"), but after 10 fugging hours, I'M STRESSED AS HELL. I don't need more hours on my hands every day - and I don't need managers breathing down my neck threatening with a pink slip if we don't comply with their demands. :|

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It is perfectly legal. The last time they did that I checked Oregon labor statutes.

Fun, isn't it?

Viper GTS

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
christ, you'd think it was a sweatshop, and you get paid 38 cents a day.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Michigan Labor Laws used to require one hour lunches for a scheduled 9 hour shift i think, but now it's changed to where your employer can legally only dock/force you for half an hour.

-=bmacd=-

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That sucks. I suppose if it's legal you gotta put up with it though :( However there are people getting laid off and getting massive pay cuts right now too :(

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
You'd be amazed how much they require us to "be flexible" when they're so unflexible that it's disgusting.

Viper GTS,
I wish there was something I could do. Seems that a lot of tech support companies are doing this now a days? Is there any sort of loophole you've found in favor of the techs instead of the communist management?

nik

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The only loophole is the one where you toss them your badge and walk out the front door.

They are completely within their legal rights as your employer.

You, however, have the right to tell them to attain intimacy with a cattle prod - And then walk out the door.

Viper GTS

Michael1897

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
I'll trade you jobs. I'd love the extra cash every week. It's good to save :)
quit whining, they are paying you overtime pay be happy that they aren't laying you off.
they cut my father's hours back this week. and to think you are complaining

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

For the technical knowledge that I have, I get paid sh!t. For skills enough to pump gas, I'm paid well.

nik

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt

For the technical knowledge that I have, I get paid sh!t. For skills enough to pump gas, I'm paid well.

nik

at least you're still getting paid. and overtime too.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Hey, those guys piss me off too. I mean, capping my fuggin download @ 1.5Mbs. :|:|:|:| I want my 3Mbs BACK!!!!!

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000

Then why don't you use your "technical knowledge" to get a better job?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

nik

Actually, in this economy you don't have too much to complain about. There are many people that would kill for your job, including the mandatory OT.

Viper GTS

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Michael1897
quit whining, they are paying you overtime pay be happy that they aren't laying you off.
they cut my father's hours back this week. and to think you are complaining

why the hell did you quote me?