Achieving a true Three Party System

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
This may be the year of the Libertarian. I was not aware of this tactic until recently but it began with Nader in 2000 and has already survived a court decision. There are websites set up to facilitate it. Is this something to consider? It seems like it could be an effective strategy if people actually stay true to their word but that's a big if.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/o...icans-dont-waste-your-vote-trade-it.html?_r=0

Republicans and Libertarians in battleground states, in danger of handing Trump the election by voting for Johnson or even just sitting the whole thing out entirely, instead trade votes with Clinton supporters in the rest of the country. People in heavy blue states who might be inclined to stay home thinking "we got this", this year would probably be motivated to instead ship that vote to a state where it could be very helpful. That would generate a lot more votes for Johnson while ensuring that Trump loses.

We could be seeing history here folks.

When Gary Johnson gets 7 percent of the vote this election (he is projected to hit that already), the party will qualify for federal funding in 2020. And if he gets to 15 percent, they earn a spot at the debates. Libs should be falling all over themselves like Trump supporters on check day to get these votes as it certainly seems attainable.

I am nervous about trusting someone with my vote but if we expect our congressmen to reach across the aisle maybe we should be able to do the same. It seems like it would be win-win...lose :D

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This may be the year of the Libertarian. I was not aware of this tactic until recently but it began with Nader in 2000 and has already survived a court decision. There are websites set up to facilitate it. Is this something to consider? It seems like it could be an effective strategy if people actually stay true to their word but that's a big if.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/o...icans-dont-waste-your-vote-trade-it.html?_r=0

Republicans and Libertarians in battleground states, in danger of handing Trump the election by voting for Johnson or even just sitting the whole thing out entirely, instead trade votes with Clinton supporters in the rest of the country. People in heavy blue states who might be inclined to stay home thinking "we got this", this year would probably be motivated to instead ship that vote to a state where it could be very helpful. That would generate a lot more votes for Johnson while ensuring that Trump loses.

We could be seeing history here folks.

When Gary Johnson gets 7 percent of the vote this election (he is projected to hit that already), the party will qualify for federal funding in 2020. And if he gets to 15 percent, they earn a spot at the debates. Libs should be falling all over themselves like Trump supporters on check day to get these votes as it certainly seems attainable.

I am nervous about trusting someone with my vote but if we expect our congressmen to reach across the aisle maybe we should be able to do the same. It seems like it would be win-win...lose :D

Three party system is unlikely with our current structure, see Duverger's Law.

If you want third parties go for instant runoff voting. That's the answer.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What is Aleppo? Personally I would prefer the party system to go. Representatives just vote by issue, no superbill etc. All voting record online and reasily researchable with all available video, audio, written word as well.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
There will always be two main political parties as long as we have a first-past-the-post electoral system.

What we need to do is get rid of the one batshit insane political party that has refused to compromise and actually govern because they, literally, think that governing IS the problem.

Do that, and two parties are OK.