Ace's Hardware on Apple Dual 1.25Ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
Originally posted by: ElFenix
bah, i still want an ibook (the 12" one... sooo easy to carry)

ditto!

people, we are talking about computers, not rocket ships. anything over (about) 500mhz is fast enough for me, i dont see why people demand 6 billahertz computers, especially when running a POS like windows.

[Homer] 6 billahertz, Windows POS....aaaarrrrrrrggggggggh!!![/Homer] Me wants!

Go3iverson

Apr 16, 2000
Like most people, its simply a matter of preference. I prefer Mac OS. Every OS has its strong and weak points. I mean, like when its said that your XP box never crashes, XP is stable, but mine crashed for the last time on a scanner install and hasn't booted since. My OS X machines haven't been forced into a reboot (OS installs, power failures don't count!), considering that, I haven't rebooted any of my OS X boxes in over 19 or so months at this point.

It's just a matter of personal experience and what you find more comfortable.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Hulk
Originally posted by: krackato
Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Cinema Tools, and OS X. God I hate Apple's prices, but if you're into video, their software is fantastic. I keep praying that their hardware business fails and they're forced to go x86. I'd be in heaven if that happened.

Have you done a lot of video editing with these programs? I do quite a bit of video editing and I've used FCP. It's okay but almost unusable for anyone trying to get any real work done since the Mac platform is so slow.

I'll take Vegas Video (beta 4 is very good) or MediaStudio Pro (beta 7 is amazing) any day. They are MUCH faster than FCP, offer better features by far (real time previews to tv, scrub to tv out, great built in titling, etc...) and are cheaper!

Even Premiere is superior to FCP (faster too) and it's slow as a dog compared to the two I mentioned above.

If you don't believe me, I've been running the following video editing benchmarking site for a few years now:

Video Editing Benches

So, saying the Mac is great at video editing is simply ridiculous.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me too. Why exactly is OS X superior to Win XP/Win2000? What does it DO? And don't tell me about stability or compatibility, my XP box NEVER crashes and I have NO problems installing scanners, card readers, TV tuners, firewire devices, etc...

ROFL that is by far the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. Which app has taken the industry by storm? Which app are people dumping Avid for? What hardware do most of the Avid's out there run on? Which app can natively<sp?> handle 24p and is resolution independent?

Premiere better than FCP? ROFL! Premiere could quite possibly have the worst UI of any non-consumer NLE. I cut w/Premiere for a year before I stumbled upon a copy of FCP 2 at work. After 10 mintues (honestly, 10 minutes) I was in love. I waited a couple of months for a PowerMac update then I bought my first Mac and FCP and I've never looked back.

From what I've heard VV is getting better and handles audio better than any other NLE, but it's lacking in some fundamentals like media management and not being resolution indenpendent (I've got the VV4 beta on my PC but I haven't had a chance to play w/it yet).

With how much you are going on 'bout speed and benchmarks it sounds like you are doing a lot of compositing (and compositing != editing). Benchmarks can tell you how fast it renders video but they can't tell you how well it handles video or how good the UI is.

BTW, FCP can do RT previews to a monitor as well.

As for the stability isssues. In my personal and professional experience I haven't come across a PC based NLE that was more stable than a Mac based NLE.

Lethal

EDIT: Just so we don't keep rehashing old sh*t why doesn't everyone read this Mac vs. PC and if you have something that hasn't been said yet feel free to post that in this thread. ;)

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Go3iverson
Like most people, its simply a matter of preference. I prefer Mac OS. Every OS has its strong and weak points. I mean, like when its said that your XP box never crashes, XP is stable, but mine crashed for the last time on a scanner install and hasn't booted since. My OS X machines haven't been forced into a reboot (OS installs, power failures don't count!), considering that, I haven't rebooted any of my OS X boxes in over 19 or so months at this point.

Has OS X even been OUT for 19 months? I think you are smoking crack.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Crimson

Has OS X even been OUT for 19 months? I think you are smoking crack.

Public Beta released in Sept 00. Final product released in March 01.

So it's "offically" been out for 22 months give or take.

Lethal

Go3iverson

Apr 16, 2000
See, this is what's wrong with discussions in here. I mean, I'm as HUGE an Apple fan as you will find, but I don't try and put down other people's opinions or call them "crack smokers" and such. I was a Mac OS X Beta user as well. So, calling me a "crack smoker" really only shows an ignorance on your own part. Instead of simply asking a question, you had to be rude about it. Why? Is there a reason for it?

This is exactly the problem when people try and have a civil conversation about computing, a few people can't respect the opinions of others and it turns into a flame war, which is not remotely enjoyable.

Unless you viewed my previous post as the start of a war, which I sincerely did not intend and, in that case, I do apologize for any misconception, but name calling is just childish...don't you think?

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
Did you even try to boot that PC into safe mode (F8) and remove the scanner driver? It's so easy even a Mac person could do it.

See, this is what's wrong with discussions in here. I mean, I'm as HUGE an Apple fan as you will find, but I don't try and put down other people's opinions or call them "crack smokers" and such. I was a Mac OS X Beta user as well. So, calling me a "crack smoker" really only shows an ignorance on your own part. Instead of simply asking a question, you had to be rude about it. Why? Is there a reason for it?

This is exactly the problem when people try and have a civil conversation about computing, a few people can't respect the opinions of others and it turns into a flame war, which is not remotely enjoyable.

Unless you viewed my previous post as the start of a war, which I sincerely did not intend and, in that case, I do apologize for any misconception, but name calling is just childish...don't you think?

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Who wants to wager whether 6 months from now a Hammer running SoftMac will out-bench the fastest available G4?

Hint: doing 68k (68040) emulation its already faster on a 2GHz P4 than on a 1GHz G4 on stuff thats available in both 68k and PPC native versions. Having 16 64-bit registers in the Hammer will help it do PPC emulation instead of just 68k emulation.

Go3iverson

Apr 16, 2000
Yes, I did attempt that. It appears that there's more to it than the driver.

I still don't get the hostility towards Apple users. I respect PCs and PC users, I even built my own, all I ask is the same.

I'm not a novice when it comes to computing...I'm currently and IT Supervisor and I've been working on computers for quite some time. Does that mean I know everything? No. Did I claim to? No. But making comments like that still are just so unnecessary.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: glugglug
Who wants to wager whether 6 months from now a Hammer running SoftMac will out-bench the fastest available G4?

Hint: doing 68k (68040) emulation its already faster on a 2GHz P4 than on a 1GHz G4 on stuff thats available in both 68k and PPC native versions. Having 16 64-bit registers in the Hammer will help it do PPC emulation instead of just 68k emulation.

6 months from now I wouldn't be surprised to see all new PowerMacs running IBM 970 chips.

Lethal

Yotem

Jan 9, 2003
Macs are lagging further and further behind, I'm prerry sure than schools are abondaning macs nowadasy (and educational usage was the biggest market for macs).

As for me, I'm happy with my dually Athlon. Realized an hour agao that Interner Explroer had crashed into a loop, but due to duallys I simpyl stopepd the process without having ym comp freeze.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Cinema Tools, and OS X. God I hate Apple's prices, but if you're into video, their software is fantastic. I keep praying that their hardware business fails and they're forced to go x86. I'd be in heaven if that happened.

Have you done a lot of video editing with these programs? I do quite a bit of video editing and I've used FCP. It's okay but almost unusable for anyone trying to get any real work done since the Mac platform is so slow.

I'll take Vegas Video (beta 4 is very good) or MediaStudio Pro (beta 7 is amazing) any day. They are MUCH faster than FCP, offer better features by far (real time previews to tv, scrub to tv out, great built in titling, etc...) and are cheaper!

Even Premiere is superior to FCP (faster too) and it's slow as a dog compared to the two I mentioned above.

If you don't believe me, I've been running the following video editing benchmarking site for a few years now:

Video Editing Benches

Maybe someone can clear this up for me too. Why exactly is OS X superior to Win XP/Win2000? What does it DO? And don't tell me about stability or compatibility, my XP box NEVER crashes and I have NO problems installing scanners, card readers, TV tuners, firewire devices, etc...

ROFL that is by far the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. Which app has taken the industry by storm? Which app are people dumping Avid for? What hardware do most of the Avid's out there run on? Which app can natively<sp?> handle 24p and is resolution independent?

Premiere better than FCP? ROFL! Premiere could quite possibly have the worst UI of any non-consumer NLE. I cut w/Premiere for a year before I stumbled upon a copy of FCP 2 at work. After 10 mintues (honestly, 10 minutes) I was in love. I waited a couple of months for a PowerMac update then I bought my first Mac and FCP and I've never looked back.

From what I've heard VV is getting better and handles audio better than any other NLE, but it's lacking in some fundamentals like media management and not being resolution indenpendent (I've got the VV4 beta on my PC but I haven't had a chance to play w/it yet).

With how much you are going on 'bout speed and benchmarks it sounds like you are doing a lot of compositing (and compositing != editing). Benchmarks can tell you how fast it renders video but they can't tell you how well it handles video or how good the UI is.

As for the stability isssues. In my personal and professional experience I haven't come across a PC based NLE that was more stable than a Mac based NLE.

Lethal

EDIT: Just so we don't keep rehashing old sh*t why doesn't everyone read this Mac vs. PC and if you have something that hasn't been said yet feel free to post that in this thread. ;)

I'm LOL about as much as you are ROFL, that is to say not really at all. But I do appreciate the sarcasm. Anyway, the point is that FCP on the Mac is a DOG, DOG, DOG!!! Slow slow slow. But I guess you wouldn't know if you've never used VV or MS Pro on a fast PC. BTW, don't do it, you won't be able to use FCP anymore, unless you've got A LOT of time on your hands.

I will say I AM WRONG is saying Premiere is better than FCP, maybe more popular, but not better. I got a little over zealous there. It's just that FCP on the Mac is soooo slow compared to Ulead MS Pro or even VV.

Well, that's all. I sincerely hope that I provided you with enough content to LOL, ROFL, ROFLOL, LOLROFLOL, etc...

LOL (really, I am)

Happy editing!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: glugglug

6 months from now I wouldn't be surprised to see all new PowerMacs running IBM 970 chips.

Lethal
Actually 6 months from I'd guess we'd be running G4 7457 maybe. Next year we'll be running PPC 970.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
/me looks at his iBook and spits

Well, thanks for opening my eyes to the real deal here Darien. I'm gonna go kill myself now because I don't own the fastest toy on the block. If only all the rest of the mac users on the planet could see those benchmarks. What fools we all are!

edit: I call computer rasicm on this thread. Why the fvck should anyone care what another person uses or prefers to compute with? When did you all (most of you) turn into such goddamn computer nazis?
If speed/price ratio were the most important thing in life we'd all be driving around in nitro burning Civics .. hey, best bang for the buck right?
Whatever happened to enjoying other qualities in a computer?
People can go on judging others for the type of computer they use forever... it'll always bother me, just like any form of herdism bothers me.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sheep!

I like lots of computers.. I get tired of using windows all day, so I play with linux for a bit... if I'm not in the mood I use my mac. Take your blinders off you bigots, variety really _is_ the spice of life. Stupid fvckin sheep.
Mac bigots are sheep too. Sheep are sheep period, mac, PC, linux, BSD, black, white, rich, poor...
it's like people have to be on a team no matter what in life. Pro sport mentality... yay!

GO TEAM!!!

WE WIN!!! WE WIN!!!
YOU LOSE!!!! IN YOUR FACE!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!! LOSER!!!!

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001

Video Editing Benches

Lethal

I'm LOL about as much as you are ROFL, that is to say not really at all. But I do appreciate the sarcasm. Anyway, the point is that FCP on the Mac is a DOG, DOG, DOG!!! Slow slow slow. But I guess you wouldn't know if you've never used VV or MS Pro on a fast PC. BTW, don't do it, you won't be able to use FCP anymore, unless you've got A LOT of time on your hands.

I will say I AM WRONG is saying Premiere is better than FCP, maybe more popular, but not better. I got a little over zealous there. It's just that FCP on the Mac is soooo slow compared to Ulead MS Pro or even VV.

Well, that's all. I sincerely hope that I provided you with enough content to LOL, ROFL, ROFLOL, LOLROFLOL, etc...

LOL (really, I am)

Happy editing!

What about FCP did you find so slow and what kind of hardware was it running on? Honestly, the only thing I could possibly see as being slow compared to a PC would be render times (but I usually don't do much FX or compositing so 95% of my renders only take 10-20 seconds anyway...).

Does FCP itself seem slow? 'Cause if that's the case I think the Mac you were using had issues or was underpowerd 'cause FCP has always been very quick and responsive for me (Premiere's timeline always felt sluggish as hell and I hated it). I've also never heard of anyting describing FCP as "slow" before, that's also why I'm a bit perplexed. People've complained 'bout render times and such but that's a hardware "problem."

Do you do a lot of compositing? I could see alot of compositing becoming slow due to render times.

Eug, I wasn't clear in my post. I meant a PM running the 970 being announced, not new PMs shipping w/the 970. I'd assume Apple would announce the 970 PM shortly after IBM annouces the chip is in production. Maybe 8-10 months would be a better guess than 6?

Lethal