ACER Scanners, BEWARE!

GregRad

Aug 29, 2000
As a system builder, I run across all kinds of fun driver issues that are almost always resolved. Occasionally, an issue is not resolvable. This is the case with an Acer 3300 U scanner. Great scanner, according to sepcs, not a bad price for it either.
However, they have a problem. I have verified this with their tech support and they do not yet have a solution. Their scanners apparently do not work with most VIA chipset motherboards, especially those with 4 USB ports.
I have to wonder if this is some sort of Intel conspiracy thing to drive other chipset makers out of the market-compatible with Intel chipsets, no one elses!
VIA produces chipsets for AMD, as most Anand readers are well aware. They also produce chips for Intel, much to Intel's pleasure. Acer, for whatever reason, has released a product that is incompatible with a large volum of computers out there without any warning on their box, website or FAQ's. THe tech support guy needed less than 2 minutes to tell me the problem, he was well aware of it-this is not news to Acer.
This $70 scanner I mail ordered is going to cost $30 to ship back, which hardly makes it worth it.
Do not buy ACER! They are unwilling to disclose incompatabilities and are not compatible with everything out there.
BTW-for the tecchies out there, I have updated the USB driver to v1.08 and d/l the latest Acer drivers and software. I also tried other versions of the USB driver to check.
Cheers
Greg
p.s. if someone figured out a fix, let me know!