Acer notebook 11.6" (AMD c-60) $197 from Target

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
How is it in any way a joke? They use the exact same architecture. All differences will come down to clock speeds, and at clocks this low scaling is 99-100%.

Yes, those are the differences. The E-450 is 25% faster in single-threaded since the C-60 can Turbo to 1.33GHz while the E-450's CPU doesn't support it, meaning it stays at 1.65GHz. In multi-threaded the C-60 can't Turbo and therefore stays at the base 1GHz, giving the E-450 a 65% advantage over it. Seems fairly obvious, and overall the difference is bigger than 30%.

In terms of CPU speed the E-450 would only be ~3% faster than the E-350 no matter the workload.

I must have misunderstood what you said, because I could swear you were trying to say the C-60 is 25% faster than an E-450 there. That and there's a huge difference in GPU power with the E-450 as well.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
I must have misunderstood what you said, because I could swear you were trying to say the C-60 is 25% faster than an E-450 there. That and there's a huge difference in GPU power with the E-450 as well.

Probably, lol. Here's what I said:

In comparison to the E-450, that should be 25% faster in single-threaded and ~65% faster in multi-threaded.
If I was referring to the C-60 I would've said "it" instead of "that", but meh. It doesn't matter.

There's a very big GPU speed difference too, true. However, it'd be kinda silly to think of these playing any hardcore games or someone using it for that. The real point of both these IGPs is to decode full HD video and maybe play casual games, and both can. If you have a bigger interest in gaming Llano would be a better option.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Damn all my targets were sold out.. Might have to give a look into Costco.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I tried a couple days ago and all of the Targets within 12 miles was oos. $200 plus tax is definitely a good deal for this lappy...

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Just confirmed, Target will a similar 10.1" laptop for $157.00 on Black Friday.

link

unledju.jpg
[/

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Just confirmed, Target will a similar 10.1" laptop for $157.00 on Black Friday.

link

unledju.jpg
[/

Not really worth it, and far from similar. The AMD C-60 netbook is only $40 more and you get an immensely better computing experience everywhere from booting up, to opening programs, to multi-tasking, to the OS itself. It's much better in general usage and tasks. That's all I'll say.

teddyv

May 7, 2005
Get a raincheck - I got a raincheck for two at the $197 price before I happened to stop in at one that had three in stock (now two...)

triboy

Nov 19, 2011
I have purchased one about 2 weeks ago. I am thinking of returning the unit because I have experienced at least 3 times, a memory error/dump.

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't yet called/contacted Acer, but the instability makes me think it is not a machine which will be reliable.

Thanks.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
BF door buster lasts maybe seconds after waiting for the store to open, waste of time.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
I have purchased one about 2 weeks ago. I am thinking of returning the unit because I have experienced at least 3 times, a memory error/dump.

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't yet called/contacted Acer, but the instability makes me think it is not a machine which will be reliable.

Thanks.

return the unit for replacement, or send it directly to acer.

i haven't experienced a bluescreen/memory dump yet. and i use it every other day, for several hours per day.

triboy

Nov 19, 2011
Thanks Fayd...

I just finished a chat session with Acer. FedEx shipper, etc. setup and I will send it back for repair. Dont' want to give up on the unit yet.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000

Thanks.

Sent mine back to Acer for a bad controller card, the support line is someplace in India, very thick accent. 800-816-2237, enter your 11-digit serial number in the bios to speak to someone. I emailed Acer multiple screenshots, they paid shipping to and back to there repair center in TX via FedEx, just be sure to pack it very carefully so it doesn't get damaged.

I'm not impressed that a 2-week old laptop has so many problems, if the issue re-occurs when i get it back, i'm gonna get the HP DM1z that at least has bluetooth and better build quality.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm not impressed that a 2-week old laptop has so many problems, if the issue re-occurs when i get it back, i'm gonna get the HP DM1z that at least has bluetooth and better build quality.

That's why I swore off buying anything from Acer any longer. After suffering through two Acer notebooks that both developed numerous hardware problems within a month or two of purchase, along with the RMA's, shipping, etc., I finally gave up on the brand as nothing more than an upscale Emachine of days past. Shall never waste another penny on another Acer product again. Good luck with yours.