Acer Desktop Computer Aspire Intel Core i3 8th Gen 8100 (3.60 GHz).......Now $269.99 w/fs!!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, that PC is getting stupid-cheap for a pre-built. Would make a nice addition to just about any household.

Will absolutely BLOW AWAY any of those $300 Walmart-special Atom-based laptop-cum-desktop motherboard-based PCs. (Beware those, they have "N" or "J" in the Pentium/Celeron model numbers, rather than i3/i5/i7.)

Edit: Too bad no SSD though, but I believe that they have an M.2 PCI-E NVMe slot on the board, ostensibly for Optane cache memory for their higher model lines, but should be usable by nearly any M.2 PCI-E NVMe SSD as well, I would think, unless there are BIOS lockouts. (Acer isn't known for that, so I'm hopeful that there aren't any.)

Those HP EX920 drives were fairly cheap, recently, and have great specs. A friend of mine and myself both picked up a 512GB EX920. His does 3150/1600 MB/sec read/write, in Linux and Windows 10. Mine has yet to be installed.

Reactions: daveybrat

douglish

Dec 14, 2018
Back in stock at Newegg and Newegg's eBay listings for a limited time. Not quite as low as before, but still $50 to 100 off of normal prices for these turnkey desktops. The i-3 8100 is $350, and the i5 8400 is $370.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Dang, i can't believe it's still on sale for $299! That's a lot of PC for such a cheap price. And free shipping with a Premier account or Shoprunner. :)

douglish

Dec 14, 2018
Was showing as "sold out" when I looked late on Sunday night, but the upgraded version with an i5 8400 cpu was still available at $340.

Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Was showing as "sold out" when I looked late on Sunday night, but the upgraded version with an i5 8400 cpu was still available at $340.

Thanks for the update a i5 8400 is pretty fast, im going to check out the case and psu and prob bite.

douglish

Dec 14, 2018
The motherboards in this line are non-standard - unique shapes that would be hard or impossible to swap out. But I easilly added 8 gb of Value Ram for $45, and plan to upgrade the power supply (300 watt comes as standard) and swap the provided 1gb HDD for a new SSD.

Reactions: killster1

wedding-guest

Feb 13, 2019
In for one at $299. Now I would like to gain access to the M.2 PCI-E NVMe slot under the optical drive, but I am having difficulty removing the plastic front cover. After unclipping three releases, it folds down less than an inch before encountering resistance. Is there another cover release I am missing?

zposter

Mar 23, 2007
Keep pulling. The resistance is from the DVD drive's cover which will eventually pop off.

After you add the NVMe you'll need to change some BIOS settings to get it recognized.

douglish

Dec 14, 2018
... but I am having difficulty removing the plastic front cover. After unclipping three releases, it folds down less than an inch before encountering resistance. Is there another cover release I am missing?

On another message board someone said that you need to release the dvd drive from it's mount, and let it slide a little inside the case to free up some binding points, then you can remove the front cover. Sounded like you did NOT need to remove the cables from the drive - just let it retreat from the frame a bit.

(Edit an hour later -I just opened mine and don't see how to "simply" slide the dvd back as I had heard and repeated in the paragraph above. Maybe there are variants of this case design. Sorry.)

Last edited:

zposter

Mar 23, 2007
I had to get the front panel off in order to remove the screws holding the DVD drive in but maybe there's a way to loosen the drive from its mount. You do have to remove the drive in order to access the M.2 slot.

wedding-guest

Feb 13, 2019
Emboldened by zposter, I kept pulling. As predicted, the DVD drive's front trim piece popped off. Everything else was easy.

If I did it again, before starting I would power on, press eject on the DVD drive, and remove its trim piece in a more controlled manner. Then slide the drawer back in and proceed from there.

Thanks, all.

zposter

Mar 23, 2007
That's what I figured I'd do next time as well. Did you get the NVMe recognized by the BIOS?