acer chromebook for $199

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
The Samsung $249 seems to be a better deal. Especially for the non-savvy. The people who never blow the dust out of there Laptop fans and such. As the Samsung Chromebook has no fans. You can get a external hard drive for more offline space too.

Google also said they are working to optimize ChromeOS for the ARM cpu as it's a newer cpu.

However this doesn't seem horrible? Well see when some reviews come in. At least they are starting to give people options. There is a market for machines to just get ya online. ;)

I'd expect to see a $99 Chromebook soon with smaller screen and such.

Then they have all price points covered and people might start to pick up Chromebooks.

They have a Chromebox too for $329 but really you'd be better off getting a Chromebook and using the HDMI out.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
The Samsung $249 seems to be a better deal. Especially for the non-savvy. The people who never blow the dust out of there Laptop fans and such. As the Samsung Chromebook has no fans. You can get a external hard drive for more offline space too.

Google also said they are working to optimize ChromeOS for the ARM cpu as it's a newer cpu.

However this doesn't seem horrible? Well see when some reviews come in. At least they are starting to give people options. There is a market for machines to just get ya online. ;)

I'd expect to see a $99 Chromebook soon with smaller screen and such.

Then they have all price points covered and people might start to pick up Chromebooks.

They have a Chromebox too for $329 but really you'd be better off getting a Chromebook and using the HDMI out.
i think chromebooks are more attractive than netbooks because of the bigga screens but they need to put better cpus in them. arm is just too slow. $249 for a nice quality celeron chromebook would be great. it would nice to have one with a 1900x1200 screen and i3 for say 350

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The problem with chromebook is I can't find it in stock. I want the Samsung Chromebook Exynos 5 and the $249 WiFi version is always out of stock at Amazon and they still haven't released the $329 3G version which is what I really want. By the time it's in stock, I might have moved on and no longer interested.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
The problem with chromebook is I can't find it in stock. I want the Samsung Chromebook Exynos 5 and the $249 WiFi version is always out of stock at Amazon and they still haven't released the $329 3G version which is what I really want. By the time it's in stock, I might have moved on and no longer interested.

Have you checked retail? Only spot I seen the $249 Samsung Chromebook was in a BestBuy. Also Check Staples and Office Depot. Including the sites as you can order online from them too. I see some at Staples.com and BestBuy.com

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I think this is recommendable to exactly no one.

$50 less than the Samsung, except without the battery, passive cooling, SSD, decent keyboard, and probably decent trackpad as well.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

they were in stock at the best buy on geary in san francisco last weekend. i would axe at best buy

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
What is the best model and brand out now?

I want one for my Christmas.

Link?

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

Link?

honestly the only really good one is the celeron one by samsung for $450. they may be discontinuing it though. i noticed its no longer at best buy. the arm ones are too slow and acer is crappy quality. they really need to come out with one that has a fast cpu and higher res screen at a low price

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I think I would like the Samsung Chromebook a lot more than the Acer one.

I prefer the ARM processor over the Celeron, because it's fan-less has twice the battery life. It might be a little slower, but this is a cloud OS, so it doesn't need a lot of local processing power anyway. The Samsung one looks better too, even has the Apple fanboys foaming at the mouth because it looks too much like a Macbook Air (apparently Apple patented the color silver too).

But what I really want is a cheap laptop with an IPS screen. Why is this so dang impossible?

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
i tried it at best buy and i thought it was uncomfortably slow

im sure theyll be bringing out new stuff soon.

im wondering if all the manufacturers start putting large capacity hard drive in chrome machines whether this will morph chromeos into a full os

Never, that isn't the point of Chrome OS, it's intended to be all about the cloud.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007

Kindle Fire only if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber and into Amazon content, in my opinion. Otherwise a Nexus 7 would be a much better choice. The screen is smaller, but the tablet is so comfortable to hold that you may soon consider the 7 inch size to be a bonus.

That Fire HD 8.9 is certainly a nice looking piece of hardware. But it's running Kindle OS 6 (heavily skinned version of Android 4.0) that is designed entirely around selling you Amazon content. So this may not be a good thing if you don't care about Amazon content.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
Never, that isn't the point of Chrome OS, it's intended to be all about the cloud.

yeah i know thats supposed to be the idea, but if the infrastructure isnt there yet (mostly due to high lte prices) and manufacturers start using cheaper high capacity hard drives that make it easy to store large amounts of data, wouldnt it make sense for chrome to go more in the traditional os direction. that would certainly make it easier to directly compete with apple and windows

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I have e similar laptop from EMachines (which is an acer). We have the D528 series.

It was $199 last year for chrismas. Came with a single core (I upgraded it to Dual Core for $15 buck). 2gb was upgraded to 6gb (for $20) and this laptop can do everything I want and some VERY well.

Not only would I recommend it to your average user, I wouldn't recommend much more as it would probably be a waste of money (for what most people do).

I feel no need for SSD AT ALL.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006

Samsung one is a nice second device/guest computer. Not sure when the Play Store will actually start shipping then though.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Samsung one is a nice second device/guest computer. Not sure when the Play Store will actually start shipping then though.

I think I will wait for something better down the road.

Or just save up for a Dell (other name brand) 10 or 13 inch notebook:)

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I feel no need for SSD AT ALL.

Ever since I first tried out an SSD, no computer of mine be it a desktop or laptop will use a mechanical drive ever again. I simply cannot go back, and it's the one thing that is most worth upgrading on any system you use.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005