Acer Aspire 5741ZG Recovery without Disks

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 5741ZG Notebook that has Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit installed.

The machine is not mine, but I was asked to solve a problem with it, by reverting back to the factory settings. The user did not create the recovery disks, and at this time, I successfully made a backup of personal data and documents, with a little help of a linux boot disk and some handy usb pen :). So everything is ready to clean it to it's original state.

At this time, I cannot start the machine, it seems to freeze on windows startup, and my intention is to recover it to the factory settings.

The disk contains a partition which I believe contains the recovery image, but I need to execute Acer's eRecovery to make it recover ... so I'm stuck!

Is it possible to do a hard recovery? Some key combination at power-on that will force the Acer into a recovery?

Does Acer support provides eRecovery at their site for download, so that it can be run to recover the system? I can't seem to find it on Acer site ... and since I have the partitions intact, I was trying to avoid the possibility of buying recovery disks from Acer ...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Probably easier to just get the .iso, and do a new install. Get it all updated, then image it for future use, and put it on a separate partition.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I assume it won't start in safe mode?

If not, most Acers use ALT-F10 when the machine starts to trigger the beginning of the restore process. If it asks you for a security code, try 000000 (six zeros).

Once you get it re-imaged, you should be able to create a set of recovery discs.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Probably easier to just get the .iso, and do a new install. Get it all updated, then image it for future use, and put it on a separate partition.

What you mean get the iso? Buy it from Acer? Is it on the hidden partition?

I assume it won't start in safe mode?

If not, most Acers use ALT-F10 when the machine starts to trigger the beginning of the restore process. If it asks you for a security code, try 000000 (six zeros).

Once you get it re-imaged, you should be able to create a set of recovery discs.

Unfortunately it doesn't start in any mode. I'll try that ALT-F10 trick and see if it works. If it does, I'll create the recovery disks.

Thanks. I'll post the results as I come home and try it.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Oh! I did it!

I connected the laptop to the power socket, then started in safe mode ... in about 1 hour, the safe-mode appeared ... I immediately executed the recovery software from Acer, and after some time, the system was clean!

First thing was to create the recovery disks :D

Now a quick question ... having the recovery disks, can I just replace the disk with a new one, and recover the system there? I mean, to a disk that has no hidden partition with the image? The image should be on the 3 DVD disks, right?

Thanks

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You "should" be ok but the recovery disls may or may not ask you to put in a cd key. If it does you need to be able to read it off the bottom.

PS: Everyone should write down the CD off the bottom of your laptops before it gets rubbed off and you have to rely on a recovery partition as your only option.