Acer AL2051W

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Hey all, I've got the monitor listed above. It has a native res of 1680x1050 which I play at whenever possible. The problem is that my current computer is pretty old and struggles with most games at that res. I was wondering if it would be safe to create a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel that I could switch to for games. I was thinking of something like 1440x900 or similar so that I wouldn't really lose image quality through stretching.

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
There is no safety problem in creating custom resolutions in the NVidia Control Panel. The prequisites are:

--- You must be connected via DVI. Analog VGA doesn't work;
--- You must choose NVidia Scaling so that the scaling is done in the videocard, not in the monitor.

In this scenario the scaling computations are done by a dedicated circuit in the videocard, and a 1680x1050 (native) signal is sent to the monitor, but the visible scaled image is what you choose in NV Control Panel, such as 1440x900 or 1280x800. The monitor "sees" a native signal and doesn't "know" it is displaying a lower resolution.

The visual quality is very good. I am using a custom 1360x850 resolution on my 24-inch monitor and am very happy with the results.

-------------------------

As for 840x525, it might be possible, but things are going to look awfully big and soft-edged.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Great info. Thanks a ton. I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot. I was worried that the monitor would get ruined similar to the way a CRT can be destroyed if you send it a non-supported resolution.

Do you think 840x525 is the way I should go? That seems ridiculously low, but if it works and looks good, I should be pumping out the frames on my aging 6600gt.

Edit: I should add that I'm using the 94.24 drivers still as the newer 16x.xx's cause an overscan problem for me.

Also, when I have created the custom resolution, what resolution do I tell the games to run under? Will they display the custom one as an option?

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I use an AL2051W as well and it actually looks pretty good at 4:3 resolutions. I run some games at 1024x768 even, and it doesn't look that bad - just some jaggies. But that's normal for a 20". I think I'll try this, though.

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Modular

Do you think 840x525 is the way I should go? That seems ridiculously low, but if it works and looks good, I should be pumping out the frames on my aging 6600gt.

Edit: I should add that I'm using the 94.24 drivers still as the newer 16x.xx's cause an overscan problem for me.

Also, when I have created the custom resolution, what resolution do I tell the games to run under? Will they display the custom one as an option?

840x525 is too low. I bet the 6600GT can do much better than that, depending on quality settings.

Here is what I suggest you try for gaming: Create and apply a 1228x768 custom resolution (proper 16:10 ratio of the monitor). Then start your game and choose 1024x768 resolution. If the game has a widescreen display option, choose this and the picture will be stretched to properly display on your monitor. (I am currently playing Tomb Raider Legend and it has this option)

With 1024x768 and a 6600GT, you should be able to select satisfying quality settings. My own preference is to turn on all the special effects (lighting, fog...), but not use AA+AF. You will see how far you can push things.

If your game doesn't have a widescreen option, you first have the choice of letting the monitor stretch the picture. Circles become ovals and people are flattened, but, depending on the game, you can get used to it.

Your other choice is to go into more advanced scaling settings in the NVidia Control Panel. Basically, you have the choice between Fill, Aspect and 1:1. This terminology may vary (sorry, I am not on my own computer now), but the effects are the following:

"Fill" the screen ignoring any aspect ratio differences between source and display. a 4:3 source would be stretched to fill the screen.(same as letting the monitor stretch)

?Aspect", to maintain whatever aspect ratio is used in the source, but interpolate the image to fill as much of the screen as possible. This will result in black borders along the right and left hand sides on a WS format screen displaying a 4:3 source such as 1024x768. If you can manage to set it, this is the best choice.

"1:1" used to literally only use the exact number of pixels specified in the source resolution. For instance a 1024 x 768 source resolution would be displayed on a 1680x1050 resolution monitor only using the pixels required and would not be interpolated or stretched. This would result in black borders on all sides of the image. This would be like using a smaller screen within the larger screen. For those wanting to run games at lower resolutions but without losing image quality through interpolation. You lose viewable screen size with this option.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Hmm, I've been trying at this tonight and having no luck. I change my nVidia scaling options to Use nVidia scaling, then try and create custom timings with the resolution I want (1228 x 768) and it fails. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Using 163.75 drivers and when I choose anything other than "Use my display's built in scaling" I get a weird jumbled screen. Is scaling broken again?